Looking for some advice on to take MCDST or not

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by StevieH, Sep 17, 2011.

1. StevieH

StevieH New Member

So..currently i work part time at weekends and whenever shifts are going through the week(not ideal but better than nothing :dry)not enjoying it and not looking to go full time in this role.

I have applied for 2 jobs recently one being "Trainee IT Engineer" through "CERCO"(heard some bad stuff but some good stuff about these guys) and the others a contact service advisor role, I am planning on doing the MCDST(part time) if i go for the contact service advisor role.

what advice could anyone give if any, I'm leaning towards doing the MCDST part time because of the bad review if
    CERCO.

Thanks, Stevie. :eek:

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You can't take the MCDST anymore, as it (the exams, not the qualification) has been retired.

See here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. StevieH

StevieH New Member

Hi Ken,

My local college are advertising this
    could you enlighten me as to why? as I am incredibly confused now lol.

4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

The exams have been retired they no longer exist. You must focus on the MCTS or MCITP equivalent which is for Vista or Windows 7.

Ask your College why they haven't updated their info to refer to the correct certifications, it could simply be a mistake on their part.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

I can definitely confirm the MCDST has retired, I went through this in May as Microsoft decided to expire the exams (not the certification) at the end of June.

So i had to pretty much rush it in time to do the 2nd exam part in order that I could get the full MCDST status, which I now am!!:D

I would seriously either speak to your college or Microsoft themselves or both and find out why this is still being offered. They could be referring to the new equivalent in windows 7? XP no longer has any exams on the support side that you can take, there is a possibility that certain education facilities may have been granted an extention to this until the end of the year but for the average Joe wanting to take this exams it is no longer possible, I'd imagine they have disappeared from Pro-metric's website so you wouldnt be able to book anyways.

Hope this helps
    Millsie

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  6. StevieH

StevieH New Member

Sorry for the late reply,

but thanks for all the help guys I'll give my college a ring and tomorrow as I'm busy today and see whats up, but thanks for the responses :D

7. UnaRobertson

UnaRobertson New Member

Thanks for sharing!