Looking for ideas on how to load balance 2 ADSL connections

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LukeP, Aug 2, 2012.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I'm looking for a piece of kit that will allow me to load balance outgoing network traffic.

Networking isn't my strong side so please help me out.

I've got 2 ADSL connections (1 with 5 usable IPs and 1 with 1 IP). Currently they're not being load balanced and the connection with 1 address is kept separate.

The main connection is configured this way:

Internet Connectivity.jpg

The Watchguard firewall is the one that died. We use forefront for terminating VPNs and reverse proxy (quite extensively). External IPs are SNAT'ed to Forefront IPs which then processes the traffic according to rules configured.

I would like to add another internet connection. I also need to replace the Watchguard firewall and I'm not even sure how to start planning it to be perfectly honest with you.

I'd like to find a piece of hardware that will give me control over what's load balanced and what's not.

Any suggestions on how to approach this?

Cheers

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Luke,
    Are you going to replace the failed Watchguard with another? If so, you are probably aware XTM2, 3, 5 etc offer dual WAN capabilities. You could get another Netgear, turn NAT off and use the Watchguard to deal with it.
    I have to be honest, ive used them for round robin although never really sure how effective it was. That said, the fail-over capability worked for problematic connections.
    Let us know what you plan to do.
    Cheers.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I'm not sure yet. Ideally I would want a firewall appliance that support WAN load balancing. I've seen few Netgear FVS models that seem to support it. I'm not very keen to get another Watchguard as I'm not using any of their subscription features and just use it for filtering traffic that hits Forefront. I also genuinly hate the flash interface.

I was thinking I could get a firewall with 2 WAN ports, plug in 2 routers to it and load balance the lot. I am worried however that some stuff can cause problems. Will the firewall know to respond to a particular request using the right interface after it gets to my network. Also how about getting a firewall that will allow me to SNAT 2 separate WAN networks to Forefront and use Forefront to load balance the traffic. I think that Forefront would give me enough control over traffic and it would be a single point of management too.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Rough budget for this mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

£300-£400