Looking for advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by CJAlltree, Dec 16, 2008.

1. CJAlltree

CJAlltree New Member

Hi,

Just joined CF, and have been flicking through the forums for a while now in an attempt to set realistic goals to get me into the IT field. I have been looking around various sites, and would appreciate some feedback on a way to progress.

I have always had an avid intrest in computers, and built my first PC about 12 years ago - even splashed out on a quad speed CD-Rom! I have recently found myself unemployed, and thought about converting my passion into a career.

Recently I have approached a few of the more widely known training providers, and also researching into them on line (which led me to this site). Going through some of the posts has opened my eyes to some possible pitfalls, and I would like to get some advice from people who have more experiance in the industry, and are not trying to profit from my decision.

Originally, I was looking to do a MCSE course (from IT fundamentals to MCSE), and start looking for a job after achieving CompTIA A+. The TP. I have decided to go with does have a careers team with a high %age placement, but some of the posts here worry me about taking this action - namely over qualifying myself before getting enough practical experiance under my belt.

Maybe a better way (even if more costly) would be to get CompTIA A+ and MCDST under my belt, and wait a while before progressing on academically?

The next problem I see is getting that first job. Everything I see requires a minimum of 2 years experiance. I am not looking to break into the industry at £40k, and expecting a company to snap me up just because I have a qualification. Even with my willingness to learn and adapt on the job, and perform my role with passion and drive, it looks like the hardest part is just to get that interview.

In short, I have set my goals high, as I enjoy challenge. I am willing to start at grass roots, and work my way up both in possition and salary, and most importantly, I am open to advice from people who know this industry better than I do.

I know that this is quite a long introduction, and thank you for reading.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

It would be best to lay of the MCSE and other higher certifications like MCSA and CCNA until you have the relevant experience in those areas.

The A+, N+ and MCDST would be a better idea as you need little experience for those.

You should really be looking for entry level positions, that is trainee positions where no commercial experience is required or jobs where very little experience is required.

Most people start at the very bottom working on a call centre helpdesk, some get a job with a small company or even do IT work at a charity on a voluntry basis (this can be good to get experience).

Whatever you decide think very carefully about handing over large sums of money and take any job garauntees with a pinch of salt.

good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

What GBL already said. Plus if you do decide to go down the TP route, please always read the fine print.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

See if your local Colleges do Cisco IT Essentials 1 which would give you a good grounding with some self study to undertake A+. A+ & N+ can be taken at most local colleges for a fraction of the cost from a private training provider.
    Have a look at what local colleges offer in the way of the qualifications mentioned by others.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  5. CJAlltree

CJAlltree New Member

Thanks guys,

I think that you have confirmed my doubts in the MCSE line. Have approached the TP about the course, and would you belive it, they do not have any low level courses that cover CompTIA as well. Have not found any courses locally, but have found another TP that does CompTIA A+ and MCDST.

Thanks for the advice guys, and a reply, as I know you must get thousands of these a year - unfortunately, my first search of "getting into IT" came back as 'Ignoring the following words due to......... too common:- "getting", "into", "IT" ' must be very popular! thanks again. Col.

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Doing the A+ and the MCDST sounds like a great plan to start with. BTW, both of them are easily done with self study so check out the articles section of the forum (there's a guide to self study in there somewhere).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685