Looking for advice on web development

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Paul15679, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Paul15679

Paul15679 New Member

Hi, newbie looking for some advice.

I've recently left my job and am looking to get into web development. I was all set to buy a CIW self-study kit to earn their certification until I heard from a few places, including reading this forum, that their cert basically isn't worth the expense.

Can someone advise me on the best way to pursue this career path, ie whether I'd be able to find a trainee position, or what sort of things I should be looking at doing as a portfolio? I'd really appreciate any advice, as I'm kind of stuck in deciding what to do.

BTW, I've taught myself HTML/CSS and am currently learning PHP and MySQL.

Thanks

2. S7AN

S7AN New Member

Proven knowledge of XHTML/CSS, PHP/MySql and knowledge/awarness of web design, W3C standards, usability, accessibility, search engine optimisation should get you entry level job in my opinion.

How can you prove your knowledge I'm not sure, could be portfolio or maybe just telling employer exactly what he wants to hear
    For example most small development companies that provide websites to small businesses have developed their own Content Management System and most their websites run on it. So they create design, hoke it up with their CMS, add all the info with SEO in mind and work on off-site SEO. Developers job would probably be constantly develop CMS with latest standarts, new features, research search engine ranking criteria and try to make CMS more Search engine friendly. They would probably provide web hosting too so knowledge of system administration, LINUX, apache would help. Once you confident you can do all the tasks involved in the process then I'm sure you could explain that to the employer.

Certifications: BTEC IT
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Have you looked at the CIW pages of the forum yet? They may help you.

BTW, welcome to CF! 8)