Looking for advice on next certification goal.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Brian, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Brian

Brian New Member

I just completed my term in the US Navy where I obtained a secret clearance (Slightly irrelevant). I have an A+, Network+, and Security+ certificates. The question swimming around in my head is which cert. to work on next. It's been suggested (and believe this to be true) that certification is something of a good idea to have when persueing a career in IT.

I've researched the question of where to go next and it looks like CCNA would be logical based on having recently obtained Network+ certification. How valuable would that be compared to trying for MCP or even MCSA? Thanks in advance for your time.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Depends om how much real life experience you have with CISCO equipment if you want to persue CCNA if its none then don't do it as its recommended that you have about a years working experience with CISCO KIT before persuing this cert.

MCSA would be a logical choice as A+ and N+ count towards the electives for this but you also should have a years experience in this field before persuing this.

If you are not working in IT I would say try and get a job now before persuing any other certs because having too many and no experience can harm your employment chances.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

GBL is right - if you're not yet working in IT, you need to stop certifying where you are and start applying for entry-level jobs. More certifications for more advanced technologies aren't going to help you get an entry-level job because entry-level jobs don't deal with advanced technologies... and you aren't likely to get a more advanced job because those sort of jobs require experience.

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!