Looking for advice on finding an IT job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by RogueTrooper, Jul 1, 2008.

1. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Bit Poster

Hi, I've just completed my MCAD and am looking for a job. I also have a CIW Site Designer cert and an ECDL.

First, a little of my background. I graduated from university with a 2.1 Biology degree in 1996 thinking that I would easily find a job, but the reality is that life science jobs are thin on the ground and very low-paid. I did do a series of cr*ppy temp jobs until I became ill with depression. I have been out of work for nearly 10 years, partly because of my illness and partly because I couldn't find suitable work.

I have been using computers in some form or other since I was 11(my first computer was a ZX81) and am very passionate about IT. I have taught myself several programming languages - C/C++, Java, C#, Python and Ruby. I decided that IT would be a good career to go into, because of my love for computers and the general availability of jobs.

Now I've completed my certs, I am thinking about developing my job-seeking strategy. Can anyone give me any advice on the kind of job I should be looking at for an entry-level position? I'd like to concentrate on the .NET development side of things rather than website design, since I find it more interesting and challenging. Additionally, are there any hot technologies I should be looking at to give me an edge. I've been playing around with WPF and Silverlight 1.0(still waiting for Silverlight 2 to come out of beta). I'm also worried about how my previous mental health problems will affect my chances of employment. Although the Disability Discrimination Act 2005 makes it illegal to discriminate unfairly, I am also aware of the extent of prejudiced beliefs held by employers. In a study by Mind, they found that only 40% of employers interviewed said that they would employ someone with a history of mental health problems.

I need to act quickly as I am already behind with CDL payments.

Certifications: MCAD CIW Site Designer
    WIP: MCSD
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hey, good to see you're giving it a go ! Try to remain positive and upbeat as it's easy for employers/recruiters to pick up on negative "vibes".

Ok, you've got some things to deal with but as a priority I'd speak to the loan people straight away if you're already beghind. Last thing you wnat is added pressure from them.

Immediate short-term - have a look at some of the other posts here - there's one about voluntary work and if you could do something there it might give you a portfolio or examples of your work you can demonstrate and put down on a CV - it all helps.

Get your CV together (again, see other posts with how to) and perhaps get it submitted to one or two agencies. Have a good browse around the various jobsites, read the descriptions and see if you think you can do the job. If so, apply (you never know !). Also worth speaking to the agencies where you see a job and ask a bit more about it.

As you say, "officially" you can't be discrminated against so if you can show it's not a problem and that you're keen to do a job then it shouldn't become a major issue.

... and finallly ....

Good Luck ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Find any company with a call center and you'll start work tomorrow. It sucks but it's a foot in the door.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Bit Poster

Although I've suffered from depression all my life, I wouldn't say I was a negative person. I am very confident in my ability to learn new skills, and I have a strong desire to succeed in spite of my disability.

I've spoken to my loan company and they've been quite helpful. I can keep them off my back for another few months even if I remain unemployed. I know that there are quite a few C#/ASP.NET jobs in my town. They usually want experience, but there's a possibility they might offer me something even if it's voluntary.

I am writing an editor for my synthesiser at the moment using the MIDI toolkit I downloaded from Code Project. It's far from finished, but the code that I have written compiles and doesn't seem to have any glaring bugs. I was thinking that this might be something to show to a potential employer. This is my first attempt at a nontrivial software app and I'm quite happy with it so far.

Certifications: MCAD CIW Site Designer
    WIP: MCSD