Looking for a job!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by arj7, Jul 9, 2010.

1. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

I have been looking for a job in IT for almost a year and I dont think i can take it anymore.
    You apply, dont hear back, contact them, dont hear back and so on.
    I had an interview with HP went well, they contact me to say they are not hiring as many people as anticipated so obviously Im the one to get cut.
    I want work experience even thats a nightmare, I just dont see any light at the end of the tunnel.
    I dont know what to do, I have no job and I dont think i have ever felt lower, I have applied to everywhere I do everyday.
    I think i just wanted to type this rant out because HP turning me down has tipped me over the edge!
    How is everyone else finding it?
    I swear that if i was ever to get a job and someone asks me for help i will do my level best to help because at the moment no one wants to know

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

While I'm not currently looking for a job at the minute, when I was trying to get my foot in the door it took me 5 years to get into IT (and that was before the recession/the UK recovering from the recession).

However now I'm an IT manager, grateful that I never gave up...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi,

The first thing is NEVER GIVE UP! You will get there in the end, there are lot people in the same boat as you. Some people have been waiting years some months to get into the IT industry. I'm currently doing my A+ now and I know once I have passed that and moved onto the N+ MCDST I will start applying for an IT position somewere here in the Channel Isles (Jersey).

See here in Jersey it will be harder to get an IT position than the UK as it's a small island and there is only a small number of IT companies over here. I am thinking of volunteering to work in the local college over here from September to get some experience behind me, maybe 2 days a week (depends on my work commitments).

Have you thought of volunteering and looking at the local companies were you are to see if they have any positions available, I know you will not get paid for it but you will gain the expereince needed, then when its time you can apply for the positions that are suited to you!

Good Luck and remmber NEVER GIVE UP!!!!! NEVER GIVE UP!!!!! NEVER GIVE UP!!!!! NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!

Regards :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you've never worked in IT and are presently out of work it may well be worth taking a non IT job while continuing to develop yourself and look for IT positions.

You need to have something special to offer over the competition, if you're not one of the guys in class that stood out over the others or at least held your own it may well be that you're better off looking elsewhere.

If you're convinced you have something to offer, keep trying and NEVER QUIT...

As Ken says, If you never quit you can't fail.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  5. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Thanks for your advice, I did a bsc and a masters, if I didn't do the masters i would have been in an IT job.
    I contact local companies, been sending speculative apps, someone needs to give me a chance

6. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

What he said !

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

This^.

Plus, try to turn the negative (being turned down by HP) into a positive!

As an example:-

When I was trying to get a 'foot on the IT ladder', I was applying for loads and loads of IT related jobs for months and months, but got very few replies and not one interview.

Then, I applied for a job at a local hospital and was called for interview. I was away on holiday at the time, and so had to drive 300 miles home to get ready for the interview. I had the interview and I thought it went very well. They showed me what the job entailed, and it was just what I wanted. It would be a challenging role, but I knew I could do it! They told me at interview that they would definately contact me within 2 days to let me know either way.

Anyway a week passed and they hadn't called, so I called them. They told me that although I did well at the interview, I wasn't really experienced enough for the role, and hence I hadn't got it. I couldn't believe it and felt devastated.

This was a low point and I almost decided to give up on the dream to work in IT, and return to my previous crappy job.

But I had a few beers and then a few more :beers2 and pondered my future, and decided that I would increase the number of applications I sent out.

Anyway, 4 weeks after being turned down by the hospital, I had an interview and was offered the job the following day.

So it can be done!!!! and whatever you do - DON'T GIVE UP!!!

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Alot of poeple get there foot in the IT door by already being in the main door.

It might sound **** for a person with a masters degree but alot of big companies with call centres sometimes recruit from the customer service end and train them up overtime, maybe starting off with password reset and recreating osts.

I know a large gas company and sattelite provider that does this. Not for all their service desk jobs but some as the person can already be trusted and probably happy with a chance of a small payrise after a probationary period.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  9. Richy19

Richy19 Bit Poster

yea and look at it this way you must have had something special to even be considered by HP without any actual IT experience

WIP: BTEC ND IT, CCENT, A+, N+
  10. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

My friend lives in Jersey, she's a bombshell :biggrin are them companies hiring experience IT people?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  11. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Thats a great story, I think its friday i need to get some alcohol down me or something! And do like you said turn a negative into a positive and send out even more applications, all my friends are telling me you will get there in the end, but until then it feels terrible

12. westernkings

Post your CV up mate.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  13. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

sorry this is a bit unrelated but everywhere I look i see adverts sounds like the dream job then it turns out to be the FDM academy I hear that and JUST IT should be avoided, or am I wrong when it comes to this?

Thanks for everyones kind words, if only one of you could offer me a job!:D

14. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Haha this was one of the first things I did when I joined the site and thanks to certforums it has been much improved. At the HP interview one of the first things they said was how well laid out and how good the CV was!
    So at least im doing something right! :biggrin

15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

it took me 5 years with a 3 year break because I was so pissed off dont give up.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. Kopite_21

The problem with IT companies over here they hire through a recruitment agency, with some saying you have to have 5 year residency on the Island which is fair enough.

Were she work if you don't mind me asking I might know her with it being such a small island!

Regards

17. westernkings

I think she works for HSBC now. I was actually planning on visiting for a few weeks, she claims that place is the best thing since sliced bread.

18. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Know what you mean mate. Got made redundant in December after 15 years in the Video Games industry and felt that IT Support was the way to go.

Studying for the A+, then N+ followed by MCDST.

Have managed to secure two interviews, only for both to say "Everything was fine...But lack of experience".
    What really frustrates me is that they must read my CV and see what experience I have?

However, all the lack of responses to emails, all the thanks but no thanks, all the "Dont have the experience" comments just make me more determined to succeed and follow my chosen path mate.

Keep your chin up, what doesnt kill us only makes us stronger :)

19. Kopite_21

It is mate my brother in-law works there also always saying it's a great company to work for. Think he off to Hong Kong end off year to work out there. Said he gonna listen to see if any IT jobs become available there for in the future if any become available and if I pass my A+ N+ etc.

Should come over mate weather great over here.

Regards :D

20. westernkings

You will find that usually means your face didn't fit, or you didn't WOW them. They knew what experience you had, it was up to you during the interview to convince them that the experience you had, was enough.