Looking for a decent training company:

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by kaladon, Oct 1, 2009.

1. kaladon

kaladon New Member

Hey there folks,

firstly let me say this site and community look pretty damn good! Ive spent the last little while reading over vasious bits and bobs and its convinced me to ask you guys/girls for advice on this matter.

Ive been working in IT for about 6 years now and playing around with pc's in general since i was around 8 (a meager 18 years ago:blink). I started off working in a shop just building box's, installing OS's of choice and general fixes. Moved into working 1st/2nd line for a major ISP (:twisted: <--- thats a clue as to which one) before moving out of that area and off to the lovely city where i am now. got up here and started working as a Remote Desktop type for a major City council in London. Now due to the lovely legacy nature of our infrastructure and the uselesness of we kind of need to deal with alot of things that would normally fall under server's preview not RD's.

Now ive been looking to get the finger out and progress down the MCSA/E path for some time and I would also like to (at some point) get some certs on SMS (or whatever they are calling it these days ;))

Now im not massivly good at self study as i tend to go "OH thats cool" when i read something then dash off and mess around with it for ages then lose focus on what I was actually doing. So when i heard i had a nice sum of cash coming my way i thought "Well... why the hell not see if I can do a course in XYZ?" Already have the MS books for the core exams sitting here so handy to have a guess.

I had alook at Firebrand and thought well ok lests look for some reviews and on here found them very mixxed but leaning towards the negitive. NITLC could be another possability i guess.

so folks, any suggestions to hammer me on my way or should i give up and just get hammered instead!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2009
    WIP: MCSE
  2. free-advice

free-advice Nibble Poster

Hi Kaladon

I have worked for most, so if you would like to send me a PM I will give you as much 'free-advice' as you need when it comes to the good the bad and the ugly. :D

FA

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A training company is simply going to give you their standard materials and, if you're lucky, a good teacher. They're not going to take away the "shiny-object distraction factor"... self-study or not, you're going to have to deal with that one way or the other.

If you're dead-set on using a training company, then I simply wish you luck and wisdom in choosing a good one. Please don't rely on a single person's opinion - there are a metric ton of posts just in this subforum that talk about this very topic.

Welcome to the forums!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

"decent training company" surely thats an oxymoron...:twisted:

I'd say get in touch with your local college and see what they can offer before diving into the murky world of the training provider, it'll be cheaper and the support and training you get should be better (or at least more hands on)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. kaladon

kaladon New Member

Humm you both make me verty worried. So in your opinions self study is the way to go and puny myself to get
    past the "Shiney" factor (heh Shiiiney...erm what?)?

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Check out the pinned threads at the top of the T&D forum, everything you need to know is up there.

Take note of some of the things you should be prepared to ask a saleman, same as you would when buying a car. Don't be fobbed off with vague or evasive answers.

If you were buying a vacuum cleaner from a reputable sales agent from a reputable company, you would expect him to have statistics on how good his product and company were, how many customers they had, some testimonials or endorsements. They might even let you use the vacuum to see if you liked it.

If they skipped any of those things, and just kept telling you how much cleaner your house would be, and no, you can't see one first. You wouldn't buy it.

Would you?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. BosonMichael

If you've been in IT for 6 years, you already know that you're gonna have to blast through it at some point or another. You can't go to a training provider every time you want to learn something new. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. kaladon

kaladon New Member

This is true, however i think its just 7 exams in a row is a bit:eek: even though i know i can can them slowly one at a time...

9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Dont think seven exams in a row, think an exam every 2 months and focus on the one at hand, thats how the rest of us do it.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. BosonMichael

Do you think that taking a training class is going to magically push you through 7 exams in a row without you taking the same amount of effort to cram the same amount of information into your head? :)