Looking After My Baby

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by flex22, Aug 5, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've recently bought a new laptop.I treat it like a new born baby, keeping it sorted and making sure its clean and tidy (no nappies to change here though).

I was just wondering if you people had any tips on how to look after your comps or if you know of any good sites with advice.

I have one of those little hoovers for getting bits out of the keyboard but its not very good, (I really have to stop eating at my desk).

If you know of any good products for cleaning the exterior from dust and the flat screen then let me know, it's my baby and I want to take good care of it.

Thanks!

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

One piece of advice that's pretty simple is to put a sheet of paper on top of the keyboard before closing the cover. This protects the display from scratches, especially from the little, abrasive mouse button that sits between the "G" and "H" keys. Got that one from a guru at another site.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

I have a lap top too flex, so I know exactly what you mean...mine even has a name!!! (I've told you all before....I'm sad!) :oops:

I use Storex Multi-purpose wet wipes to keep him clean and tidy! They come in a blue wet wipe tube and last quite a while....depending on how dirty your computer gets tho! Cost around a fiver but well worth it!

Certifications: none
    WIP: none
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

When I first got my laptop I would put it (no name as yet) away in it's carrier case every night.

I leave it out now though and it's starting to gather some dust and the screen needs cleaning.

I do have some wipes around here somewhere which I used for my old big monitor.I think they were made by 'fellowes' but I'm not sure if they'll be suitable for tft screen.

I just found a keyboard cleaning kit which I haven't hardly used.It's made by fellowes and it has some swabs which get all the bits out that find their way under the keys.

Thanks for the feedback!

By the way Tripwire, should I just use plain printing paper, would that be OK?
    I'm also majorly paranoid.If the machine is still warm and I put paper right into it, what if the paper heats up and catches fire?

5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

as a dad of a 51 week old (ice cream anf jelly next week) I am a dab hand at nappies

6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Whats it's name then Kelly ????? :?: :bluegrab

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

When you set a machine up in Windows, you're prompted to name the thing. On a network, machines must have unique names. Besides, you can name a computer something you'd never dare name a child or even a pet. :lol: My computers have rather mundane names: "lab-1, lab-2, micron" and so on. I named my laptop "HAL" after the rather infamous computer in "2001 A Space Odyssey". Ok, it's rather pretentious...but there was a small bit in the movie: "Independence Day" where the two main characters are on a captured alien shuttle, cruising for the hostile mothership in the hopes of planning a computer virus in it...one of the characters opens up his laptop in preparation and it says to him: "Good Morning, Dave" in HAL's voice...guess that's where I got the idea.

I hear naming servers is also great fun. :lol:

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

At first I thought you meant 'Hardware Abstraction Layer.'

(Forgive me, I'm sad)

PS:Trip, can you answer my paper querey.Thanks!

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sorry, flex. I didn't see it earlier. I use just a plain sheet of printer paper. I know you're probably worried about paper dust, but there's no way to keep your keyboard and display completely dust free at all times. So far, no problems.

10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

My PC is called BIGHAMISH

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sandy...isn't that the same machine that was rescued from an early grave because a loose CPU was put back in it's spot? Maybe the resurrected critter should be renamed "Lazarus".

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hang on a minute ,

HAL = Hardware Abstraction Layer :?: :?: :?:

I thought that M$ had incorporated that over-powering miscreant from 2001 into Windows, and that was why I couldn't get any of the things to work :evil:

...So it IS me, then :?: :cry:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

It sure is Trip...

I would never be so bold as name anything with a Biblical reference.

14. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

His name is Odey.

Nothing technical or computer orientated, just Odey! 8)

15. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Why Odey ?????? :bluegrab

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  16. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

He'll kill me for telling you this, but my boyfriend used to have a little cuddly dog that he took everywhere with him when he was a little boy and the dog was called Odey. I don't know why, he just named this dog Odey. :puppy

I just thought it was cute and I liked the name and wanted to call my laptop something cos I love it to bits!!!! which is why I can see where Flex is coming from. :wub

So Odey it was. Not a very intesresting story I'm afraid....suppose I could have done a John Lennon and told you that I woke in the night with a man floating outside my bedroom window telling me I must name my laptop Odey....but I didn't think you'd believe me!.... :unsure

17. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

If you love it that much why not call it after your boyfriend.

But then again, it's a different kind of love :wub ........ or it should be. :!:

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Odie is the name of the dog that lives with Garfield in the comic strip. I suppose it's possible that's where the name originally came from. Here's the link: http://www.garfield.com/comics/meet/odie.html. When my wife was young, she had a dog named "Dino", named after the pet dinosaur "dog" on "The Flintstones" cartoon show.

Sandy, plenty of people use Biblical names with no harm done: Adam, Abraham, Moshe (Moses), Aaron, David, Jonathan, Matthew, Peter, Simon, John and so forth. I suppose it's more fun to name servers in twos and threes after famous comedy teams: "Abbott and Costello", "Laurel and Hardy", "Curly, Moe,and Larry", "Hope and Crosby" (from the "Road" movies), even "Huey, Dewey, and Louie".

19. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

Thank you Trip...I never thought of that...I'll ask him...but then he'll know I told you all about the cuddly dog.... :roll:

It is most certainly a different kind of love thank you Nelix! Otherwise I wouldn't be making a good job of looking after the TFT screen now would I?! :oops:

Plus...Richard is not the sort of name for a laptop...it needs to be technical or cute...depending on the way you are inclined...Thats my belief anyhoo! :lol:

20. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Fair Point kelly

Does this mean i have to name all 4 computers in the house then.....

......Lets see, there's....Itchy, Scratchy, .......

No it's not something i picked up Jako!! :D

:idea: , anyone got any ideas for the other 2