Look For An IT Job While Completing A+ Certification

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Professor-Falken, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Hi, I need some advice; I had planned to start looking for work after I completed my A+ Certification exams. But I am running out of money and I need to begin looking for work. I will probably be able complete my core hardware test I begin looking for work but I maybe not. My question is what type of job should I be looking for? Or what type of job can I expect to get? I am really want something IT related, so that I stay close to my area of study. Should I even consider short term IT projects. My main goal is to finish my tests and look for a job in IT ,but my main problem is paying my bills while I finish studies. Does anyone have any advice.

Thanks,

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

If i were you i would start keeping your eyes peeled on all the main job site:

www.reed.co.uk
    www.monster.com
    www.theitjoboard.co.uk
    www.jobsite.co.uk

There have been many people on CF who got their first IT job while studying for A+. If you di it will help with your studies too.
    Personally, i think geography has a main say in the matter.... Supply and demand...

Best of luck, there is loads of advice in the employment section including CV advice etc. Don't forget projects for freinds and family all count :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have to agree with what boyce says, it's supply and demand by geographical location that is the key to jobs, epsecially entry level positions.

If I were you and I really needed to start earning and wanted to be in IT then I would be looking at places such as call centres. Not just any old call centre though, ones where you would be providing tech support.

It may not be ideal, but it will pay the bills and may help you in your studies.

8)

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Aiming for a call centre\first line support type job will be your best bet. Studying for the A+ will look good on your C.V and sometimes these jobs offer basic training as well. This is usually how to log a call into whatever call logging software is being used and also some basic desktop troubleshooting.

As Boyce said if you fix PCs for your family and friends put that on your C.V, if you are asked why you did in an interview just say you are keen to gain as much experience as possible in IT.

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. pasledgehammer

pasledgehammer Bit Poster

Hey Professor-Falken,

I'm kind of in the same boat but am doing a complete MCSA, i finished the A+ and now im on N+.

I've been actively searching for IT jobs now for about 2-3 months.

My area is very competitive and im finding it real difficult.

As for tips :biggrin i haven't had much luck with Agency type websites, ive had the biggest response from ads in the local newspapers and from looking at local company sites, even councils and hospitals.

Theres a lot of competition on the main websites but its still worth a try.

Good luck with your search!

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: N+, MCSA
  6. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Hey guys thanks for your advice it is was very helpful. Here is an update I complete my A+ hardware exam. But I have to look to look for work. I need something in IT, do you think I might get a chance in anything besides a helpdesk not that I mind.

Also I need help with my resume. I want it to emphasize the fact that I complete my A+ hardware exam and that I am studying for my studying toward completing my A+ certification.

Attached is a copy of my resume. And thanks again for all of your help this board is a blessing.

Bye,

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Prof you forgot to attach the document :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I'm researching the whole 'no experience' catch-22 problem that keeps cropping up again and again I notice. What I've found in various interviews I've had recently is that as well as technical knowhow about 60-70% of the questions are more HR type of customer focus questions. It's an aspect that isn't covered so much in exams but in the real world counts as heavily as technical aknowledge and ability.

Is this your first job you're applying for or are you moving into IT from a different industry? What knowledge/experience from previous jobs can you bring with you to your perspective new IT role? Can you demonstrate abilities like;- thinking on your feet, managing and prioritising your workload, teamwork (big one), proactive thinking, communicating technical jargon to non technical users/clients in terms they will understand, being polite to people when they're being rude to you and it's not your fault?

If you have experience and knowledge of the above you should add that in your resume, if you don't you should list them as 'people skills' you possess anyway and are aware of and completely comfortable with.

Like has been said above doing PC jobs for friends and family counts and you can use them as references. It's also worth advertising computer repair/broadband/wireless set ups in your local paper shop with a card in the window. This can go toward paying the bills while you look for a job and make you look more proactive to perspective employers. Also look at who your local competition in this field is and ask them if they need any help- offer to work for free to get some experience and who knows they might take you on.

I'm writing an entire website dedicated to this subject at the moment, hopefully in the next few weeks I should have a few pages up so I'll PM you the address when it's up.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  9. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

Doh,

Professor-F,

The CV's not there nor is your profile, without telling you how to suck eggs (blue bar, 'UserCP'). Perhaps it could be a webpage posting of your CV, but beware of not giving to much away in case of somebody stealing your ID. :ohmy

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Pete01- look forward to the link for your site, matey :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Thanks Boycey, got quite a few pages to write up but the blueprint is taking shape quite nicely.

I'll make pleny of noise when it's time for the grand opening :p

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging