Long distance training providers

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by FURY, Aug 16, 2005.

1. FURY

FURY New Member

hey guys i just wanted to know what good experiences you've had with training companies because i was going to go with skills train but now i am not sure because of sum of the posts i have read many thanks all 8) if you guys wanted to know what course i was looking at it was A+, N+,CCNA,CCNP many thanks

2. mrvolleyball

mrvolleyball Bit Poster

Probably best bet is to do a search in this forum on the various training companies as they are being discussed all the time.
    I would think that you will find positive and negative experiences with all the companies - I don't think there is one definitive company that is perfect.
    Then again I may be wrong ( cause it has happened before - I think the last time was in July 1992 :D )

3. BirchCrafts

BirchCrafts New Member

:x I have been looking to do computer training. My experience with Skillstrain was very unpleasant. The rep who came to see me was late for the appointment and then rude when I told him that I had waited for twenty five minutes. In fact when I told him very courteously that I didn't like his attitude, he slammed the door in my face.

Shortly after reporting the interaction to their office someone phoned to apologize and to ask if someone else could contact me for another appointment. No one has done so.

I won't be going with them.

4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I believe Sandy might have meant "now". :oops:

You can see this HERE in his link above.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Fury,

If you would rather classroom led tuition have you looked at Swansea University? You aren't that far from them.
    Lot's of people starting out on certs begin with the A+ as this is a good grounding. With an old PC to play with, a good book and this great forum you could make your own way through it and save a thousand pound! :D
    Good luck on whatever you decide.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Hi Fury,

I'm with Scheidegger myself and i have got no complaints with them so far. As has been said before you will always hear bad comments about somebody more than you will hear good as its more likely that people will want to be heard if they are unhappy. The ones that are happy will just carry quietly on with their business.

As with going to college or not instead is totally up to you and your circumstances. I couldnt afford to go to college full time anymore and there were not any evening or part time classes available where i live. Even the HND that i wanted to do did not happen on a full time basis as there was not enough interest in it.

I'm doing the A+ at the mo and have also signed up for the N+ CCNA and CCNP. Feel free tp PM me if there is anything i can help you with but if you think it will be of benefit to others just stick to the forum.

Good luck. :biggrin

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  8. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

I would always reccomend looking at your local college/university for IT Courses. Self study with support is also a good and maybe cheaper way to go! the more I hear about companies such as skillstrain and computeach the more I feel that the industry is getting such a bad name!

9. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Can you elaborate on that for me Sarah.

10. FURY

FURY New Member

Thanks for all the help guys i have considered all the options and i have gone with skillstrain doing the A+ N+ CCNP and i am also doing applied A levels in ICT in my local college

11. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Which bit? :blink

12. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Sorry Sarah, i never made that clear. :oops:

Was just wondering if you thought that the training providers give the industry a bad name and do you include the students that come out of it with certs at the end. Just curious on your opinion. ta

13. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Ahhh I'm with you now!!! Basically I meant the training providers that promise the world, a job at the end, big earnings, get people to sign up and send sales people to someones door and charge lots and lots of money for it give the industry a bad name. I'm not saying that this is the case in all situations just some come to light now and again and it's a real shame! No way include the students that come out with a cert at the end - I think it's more about the way they go about selling the courses and charging lots of money for it - especially on boot camps or they put students through about 6 certifications in a month!! I think it's just a case of investigation into a company before you go ahead, and I'm personally always one to reccomend seld paced / self learning if the experiance is there!

Not sure if that made any sense - just a ramble!!

14. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Cool, thanks for that Sarah, was having a little panic too myself that maybe employers looked down on this type of teaching methods compaired with others as im not sure to be honest if they prefer one or the other. I suppose its what you can do at the end of the day.

I understand what you are saying though.

Thanks for the reply, :biggrin

15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

One of the Guys (Sandy I think, but maybe Trip) made a comment on this the other day - employers basically don't care how a cert is obtained (even if at all), more that the firm knowledge is there. I have a friend who is network manager for a "rather large" IT outsourcing company, and he is 100% of this opinion. Also, any employer (either mine, or potential, at interviews) is more interested in ability than paper. However, you will be asked about what certs you do have (if you have them), and that is your chance to shine if you make the right noises.

Sorry if this drifted away from the original point - just a few random thoughts from me :oops:

16. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Random or not, always appreciated Gav. :biggrin

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The CV gets you in the door. The interview gets you (or fails to get you) the job. You have to be able to show them in the interview that you know what you're talking about, that you can do the job, and that you will be a good fit for their team.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  18. Donnylad

Donnylad Banned

Admin Edit(J): Repeat content - removed

Certifications: A+ MCSA ITIL Prince2
    WIP: MSc in Management
  19. Nicos

Nicos New Member

Are you a salesman for Computeach, per chance?

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: CCNA
  20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hmmm, which of the 7 near-identical posts makes you say that, Nicos ? :hhhmmm