London revelers mark drink ban with subway chaos

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Jun 2, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

In the words of the immortal philosopher...WTF?

Can somebody explain this to me?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/06/01/london.subway/index.html

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Our buffoon of a new mayor, in a pathetically transparent attempt to seem 'tough' on crime on public transport in the capital, has decreed that, as from today, drinking alcohol will be banned on the London Underground. This is despite the fact that drinking is not exactly rife on the underground anyway, and never has been, and that any trouble related to alcohol on the tube is almost universally as a result of people already being pissed up when they get on.

As a result, a bunch of equally stupid people decided it would be a good idea to arrange to 'meet up' and beer up on the tube yesterday. A few stations were closed due to these 'revellers'.

Genius.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Any excuse for a drink! :alc

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you calling be stupid??? 8) lol i actually got caught up in it all! then today i was asked if my coke bottle has any alcohol in it? people will just find other ways to get it on and you right its not doing anything cause very little people drink on the tube - the majority are drunk before they get on as you say...:x

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, as of the last time I was on any public transportation system (San Francisco Bay Area), eating or drinking anything was prohibited.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

When I lived in Vancouver the same policy was in place there. No eating, drinking or music or face a fine of $8 billion and 573 years in jail.

I think I saw more people ride the Skytrain for free every day than violate the food/drink and music law!!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  7. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

This seems to be our governments answer to everything these days! 'Oh we have a problem. Lets ban something or fine people, or if they're children, lets fine the parents instead!!'

When are they going to learn that problems like anti-social behaviour stem from peoples values and having a lack of basic respect for other people and the environment in which they live. No amount of banning or fining is going to change this. They need to address the problem for what it is and try to install some sense of self-worth and respect in the people that go out and cause these problems. Having a ban is just another way of the government saying, 'You're wrong. We're right, and we don't care what you have to say about the matter'. This in turn just makes people feel even less empowered and makes them want to rebel even more!!

Sorry, things like this just really wind me up............ :rolleyes:

rant over!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

bafoon? **** its atleast a start

food and drink of all kinds (bar water) should be banned on london transport
    watching a bunch of phishheads annoy everyone for 10 stops at 1am on the northern line happens plenty, but no where near as much as some ****er with some manky stinking fried chicken two rows behind me on the 109!

transparent or not, its a transport network, not a bar floor, now we just need to ditch the food and cannabis! (although I'm pretty sure that last one already carries a hefty fine anyway!)

NONE of which will ever be enforceable without more police, it would be wrong to expect a bus/train driver to challenge rule breakers, they have very little power and would be easily intimidated

Trip one thing I have to say though, I was pleased with the no food/drink on the BART but they seem to think thats an excuse for never cleaning the damn thing, I don't think I have ever seen a train/tube in london as dirty as that BART train (inside or outside)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation