London and Transport to and from Work

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by onoski, Feb 9, 2010.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi All,

Just curious as to how you're finding the London transport system to and from work. Personally, I don't think it's bad per say except the likes of "First Capital Connect" have gone down the drain with delays for no apparent reasons and last minute cancellation becoming the norm.

It takes me close to two hours using the trains, bus and tube to work one way, that's if not taking the above into account. I can manage and have been for the pass two years now but sometimes can get to you etc.

Ultimately, would have to look for work nearer to where I live that's wishful thinking as beggars can't be choosers. But I would try when the job market picks up.

Well, enough said so how are you finding your journey via train, tube or buses to and from work? I also forgot to mention not getting a seat on the train is also another norm with over packed tensed passengers on the train:)

Lastly, regardless of the stressful and unreliable transport system from the likes of "First capital connect" am greatful to be in a job and employed.

What's it like for you transport wise to work and vice versa?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I also have about a 2 hour commute into London for work, the tube and DLR are usally OK its the trains that are always delayed for me. I am lucky that I am the second stop on the way in to London so I always get a seat but on the way home I do have to stand sometimes :(

Never really used the buses :D think I would rather walk them use them!

Certifications: A few.
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Rob,

Thanks for sharing your commute experience as you're right it's usually the trains that are unreliable. The buses are not too bad especially when it's less packed and not full of school kids having a rage:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Reading your stories make me feel a whole lot better about mine! :twisted:

I work just outside London myself and most days I drive, which takes around 30-45 minutes depending on traffic. I do use the District line on days where the roads are screwed (RAC App on iPhone works a treat for checking before I leave), and I have no complaints. Usually only wait 2-3 minutes for a train, and never had any real problems, 15 minute journey.

The only real problem is when I get on the A13 to find theres been an accident further along. I've sat in 3 hour queues on a few occasions in the last couple of years. *Not fun*.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Kids on public transport they all seem to want to play there music on the phones out loud at the same time!

I find the train much more relaxing then driving I usaully surf the web, read a box or have a little sleep could'nt do that when i drove :biggrin

However on the underground it is so packed there isnt't much room to turn the page.

Certifications: A few.
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I use National Express East Anglia from Colchester and then (normally) the Circle Line to Westminster, all in all it's pretty dire.

The only thing that makes the journey bearable is actually either a good book or my Archos 605 Media Player.

I miss the 10 minute commute I had in Luxembourg :(

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

When I was doing my catering apprenticeship in Mayfair it used to take me about an hour from Mill Hill to Euston, then to Green Park. It was a nightmare, never used the bus and the tube was fine on the way there, but on the way back it was terrible. And it was expensive. Luckily, my last 2 jobs have been 5 minutes walking and now in Gib it is a nice 15 minute stroll to Europort. I've been tempted to get a moped but I don't really see the point.

One thing that bothered me about London was literally, just the commute. It began to grate after a while and after a couple of summers getting on the sweltering tube after work for an hour was just not attractive. Manchester was fantastic for getting anywhere as Dazza will testify. He has the right idea :)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

if you fancy a laugh, check out the french website sytadin on thursday night... the website monitors the traffic. Usually check the website before I go home to see if I need to use my Italian job shortcut through a multistory car park - I kid you not. Thursday is a nightmore and yes there truely is 289km of traffic jam in and around Paris :) I guess it's just a way of life.

I used the do the train, but again 3+ hours on transport each day and 4 train changes just broke me after a while. So I did the non-eco thing and got a car... so sitting in traffic for about 30mins each morning isnt so bad when I think back.

:biggrin

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  9. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Yea, I noticed it took forever to get from CDG to the Champs Elysee where I was staying. It was just absolutely stand still every time I have been and the areas around paris are rough as ****. :D

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I wasn't brought up in London, so working there for the past 3 years has definitely been an experience!
    I'm out in Zone 6, NW direction, and it takes me about a hour to get to work.

The way I work around the manic crowds and expense (especially during peak hours 6.30-9.30 and 4-7) is that I go early and come home late (if I can't get out before 4). It means I do effectively 14 hour days once or twice a month, but the time in the office studying is great! Me, the laptop, and whatever it is I'm reading at the time - this is my scenario next week, out the door at 6am, back in at 8pm - just over £20 commute for the week, with plenty of hours of study done!

If I may ask, where in Westminster? My office is a 5 minute walk from that tube station.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293