Login as Public Folder User Outlook 2003

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Shinx2k6, May 30, 2010.

1. Shinx2k6

Shinx2k6 Bit Poster

Hi guys,

Im working as a service desk analyst (I have admin security rights to AD). I have been given alot of exciting tasks in role.

s one of the task, I have been asked to allow some users to have basic access rights (share permissions) to Inbox and calander to a public Folder called urology.

I have been told that I need to login as the Urology mailbox holder with the admin rights in outlook, but I am not sure how I do that. Do you need to create an existing mailbox in the mail setting located in control panel using exchange server? how do I access this folder? can you do this on ad?

I know how to give delegation rights to inbox and folders.

Any advice is appreciated - thanks.

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you have the appropriate permissions you should be able to configure the public folder using Exchange System Manager (ESM).

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Shinx2k6

Shinx2k6 Bit Poster

Thanks Sparky, for that reply and tip. Will give it a go on tuesday.

Just to clarify that as a admin I can manage user/group accounts, grant/remove permissions for files and folders, and remove/move users within the domain controller.

I believe you refering to this method http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123461(EXCHG.65).aspx

I was wondering if it was possible to log your self in to the Urology mailbox, using the drop down login profile at startup of outlook or from mail setup. From here I should be able set necessary permissions on the inbox and calander for the requested users.

The thing is one of the colleague who should be me how to perform this task has been on leave since last. Since then i have been stuck with google.

I really want to know how you do that in outlook for future reference.

4. Sparky

Well if the mailbox is a mailbox associated with a user account in AD then yes, you can logon as that mailbox and configure the permissions through outlook.

From what you have said you would need to configure your AD account to access the mailbox and then configure a Outlook profile so you can switch to that mailbox and delegate permissions etc. to the accounts you need.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Shinx2k6

Shinx2k6 Bit Poster

Sparky today I attempted both attempts.

The User's couldnt view the mailbox at all. I even gave the required access rights within AD to each users profiles. I even tried to gain access to the mailbox my self, yet failed. I accessed the mailbox, but couldnt give permission or properly login to the mailbox after I had configured the mail in control panel.

I took into account of dodgy method. I had to login as the user by exiting my current admin login, and login as the mailbox user. Afterwards, I was able to gain access to the mailbox login properly into the profile within outlook. However, I had make changes to the mailbox, such as password change requirements to never...it made worry quite a bit. The complishing results was that users after gaining permission was able to view mailbox and work as delegated.

Anyways, it was wierd experience. Thanks for advice though.

6. Sparky

The permissions dont always update immediately from AD to Exchange so you may have to wait a while. Not sure of the exact time.