1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logging on to more than one domain

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Boycie, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

    Boycie Senior Beer Tester

    6,281
    85
    174
    Chapter 14 270 Self prep book- Overview of Active directory.

    It gives an example and asks if you should have one or two domains in place. I understand why you should choose one but in the explanation it says <with two domains, users would need to specify the domain they were logging on to>.

    Does that mean you can setup XP to be a member of more than one domain? I can only see one from where i am sitting. :blink

    Si
     
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. zebulebu

    zebulebu Terabyte Poster

    3,748
    330
    187
    You need a trust between the two domains - if a trust allowing authentication is in place, the other domain will be listed in the drop-down box on the GINA
     
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

    Boycie Senior Beer Tester

    6,281
    85
    174
    Zeb,

    thanks for clearing that up for me.

    Si
     
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. riaz.hasan

    riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

    289
    0
    38
    hey thanx zeb! i had the same question :)
     
    Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  5. zebulebu

    zebulebu Terabyte Poster

    3,748
    330
    187
    No worries

    BTW - its one thing understanding how trusts work - its entirely another understanding how to fix them when they aint working consistently (as is the case where I am at the moment).

    Our trust is a two-way transitive NT-2K3 and works perfectly well 95% of the time. Unfortunately, the other 5% of the time its intermittent at best - which leads to real problems, especially with Exchange (mixed-mode, 5.5 & 2K3) as I have a load of clients on each 'side' of the domain.

    Everyone still logs on to the old NT domain in order to reduce the complexity of migrating some users and having one lot log on to the AD domain whilst the others log on to NT. This can be a right pain in the arse, as we often end up with the infamous 'phantom SID' problem - and it has led to serious issues with account creation and access to public folders stored on the 5.5 server and replicated to the 2K3 side.

    Its a bloody nightmare - especially since troubleshooting the issue is like nailing jelly to a wall - every time it happens, we get set to troubleshoot it then the damn problem goes away again!!!

    I can't wait to get stuck in with ADMT2 and get everyone migrated ASAFP - when its finally done I'm going to push the old NT DCs into the canal that conveniently runs behind our building...
     
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

    Boycie Senior Beer Tester

    6,281
    85
    174
    Zeb,

    Sounds like a bit of a headache! Good luck with the migration.

    Si
     
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT

Share This Page

Loading...