Logging in to Server 2003

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rob1234, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I was following the 70-290 MS book i dont think it told me to do that.

Certifications: A few.
  2. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi Rob, it seems you are a little confused as to whether this is a DC or not.

If you have a windows domain, you must have a domain controller. To check whether this is the case, go to the server that you think may be the domain controller. Look in the start menu for some tell-tale signs, such as are there program shortcuts for Active Directory Users and Computers, AD Sites and Services, default domain policy.

Also, try going start, run \\<servername\sysvol. See if it finds anything. If these tests come back positive, you must have run dcpromo - a wizard that takes a server and configures it as a domain controller for a domain, at some point.

Its sounds a bit like you've got your local users and domain users mixed up. When you created the scott.bishop account, did you create it in Active Directory Users and Computers, or using the local users tool?

Hope this helps a bit

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree... I would now say (after everything I've said before), format and start again...

Not trying to be harsh, but judging by what you've already said, it sound like you're not sure what state the server is in.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I agree. A good few people have commented on here who have a lot of experience but since the problem still isn't clear and its only a test lab, I think you should start again from scratch. After all, thats why you practice on your lab . . . . in case you break it :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I reckon you have been in Active Directory Domains & Trusts and have clicked on something there.

Just going to boot up a Server to check what settings you should have.

If it is not this, then seriously wipe and reload.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Go into Active Directory Domains & Trusts

On the left hand side it should say contoso.com if it doesn't then you do need to wipe and reload. If it does state contoso.com then ensure that under:

Right Click Active Directory Domains & Trusts, the UPN suffixes should be blank.

Also check under the Account Tab it should state User @contoso.com.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

All the above is correct except that I cant find the accounts tab. It is a domain controller.

Certifications: A few.