Logging in times

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Jun 8, 2016.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Does anyone have any pointers for software that can show me how long it takes for a user to log on and also what is loaded up when they log on.

I was having a look through yesterday but all I seemed to find was logon times but nothing to do with the amount of time it took for a user to log in.

Because of my permissions I am unable to see the contents of the folders for all staff, except the stafftest accounts that we have, I can see the folder contents of all students etc.

Students get mandatory profiles and staff get roaming profiles but both sets of users have complained about logging on times. With the stafftest account I saw that they were getting two folders, one was empty and the other had about 255mb in, I saw this while it was logged on, then when I logged off the folder would disappear. This is causing the slow logon in my opinion. This was the same for the students but we also seem to be getting 3 or 4 files on one PC for those students as well, all with different dates etc.

Sorry I have been waffling here

Cheers for any input

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

back in XP days there was a tool I think called BootVis, for newer systems there is apparently Windows Performance Toolkit which might help, however I've not used anything like that since XP. There are some free third party tools available as well judging from a quick google.

Roaming profiles can slow logons, that's why they are usually restricted in size (doesn't matter that much if you use folder redirection). GPO processing can slow it down if you have lots assigned.