Log straight into domain from remote client

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Leehaa, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Can anyne enlighten me as to how to login to a domain at the windows login screen?

I have done it before but can't remember for the life of me how to.

I'm sure it was through the VPN settings last time - something like connect to vpn at login or something, but can't see anything...

I'm sure there was also a way to do it via a batch file that ran at start up too?

Where you have options at login, and the choice to "use dial up connetion" you were able to see an option for connecting via VPN to specified domain...

...anyone done / seen this or am I just going mad??:blink

LOL EDIT: I know how to login to a domain normally, but need to login to a domain via a client that is at a remote site from the domain in question...

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi Leehaa,

No you're not going mad, this can be done!

You need to tick the 'Log on using a dial-up connection' on the domain logon window. It's under the username and password boxes.

You'll then be prompted for the dial-up connection you want to use. Select the company VPN connection and enter the credentials for the VPN.

There's a couple of things that you must have in place first. Obviously the VPN connection on the pc must be configured for Everyones use, and secondly the user that is logging in must be given permission to dial-in to teh domain in AD.

This user only needs to logon like this the first time they logon remotely. After the profile is created Windows caches the user credentials so you don't have to use the VPN every time. You must connect to the domain after logging on though, because the credentials need to be verified after 3 logons (think it's 3!).

HTH 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thank you Stoney! :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE