Locked Files

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by michael78, Mar 7, 2005.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Didn't really know where to post this but here it goes. If one person opens up a file on a network and then another person opens up the same file on the network does the file open up as read only for the second person or can both use and modify the file and save it (with one saving it with a different name). I got this on an exam and tbh I've never really come across this before:oops:. Cheers in advance.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

well windows usually locks the file, but its also dependant on the file format (office will pop up a warning whic his nice)

but generally, if the files open, you cant save it if your the second person to open it, you have to save it with an alternate name

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. michael78

sorry should of said it's word files that was used as an example. So basically to get this right normaly the second person would only be able to open the file as read only:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

normally in MS Office they get an option asking if you wish to open it as read only, among other things
    but yes as far as i am aware, if the files open, you can only open it in read only mode

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. michael78

Cheers for the help Phoenix...:D

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Isn't there a permissions issue as well here (from memory) ? ie, if person A has greater permissions than person B, then they can make changes and save the file as is, whereas person B has to rename their copy of the file, prior to saving ? I recall this from the 70-215 exam. There is quite a comprehensive section on this in the MSPress guide.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. michael78

The question was a person opens a file and it says read only. The 2 possible answers were

1) the file is open by someone else and is therefore read only
    2) the person doesn't have the permissions apart from read

I really can't make out what is the right answer. This one has stumped me...:(