Local College PC Repair Class?

Discussion in 'A+' started by doctorlegg, Sep 11, 2004.

1. doctorlegg

doctorlegg Bit Poster

Hi All,

As I mentioned yesterday I've kicked off trying to acheive my A+ certication in the last few days and I'd be keen on supplementing it with a "real life" class at the same time.

The cost of a "proper" A+ exam is out of reach at the moment but I've found a number of relatively cheap "leisure" (think I might be overdoing it with the amount of words I'm putting in "'s in this message!) classes at local colleges here in Glasgow which are along the lines of PC Build, Maintain and Repair style things.

I was really looking for folk's opinions on whether or not this kind of class would be a benefit to me during my studies. I don't have much experience of getting in about the guts of PC's so I'm thinking that it might be worthwile persuing this kind of thing since, as I mentioned, the full A+ courses in my area are just too costly for me at the moment. Only problem is that, although they have courses starting in the next few days, since I'm off on holiday mid October it'll be January before I'll be able to take the classes. I think I'll probably still be reading the Mike Meyers book by then anyway so I think this'll be ok!

Hopefully this isn't a too long winded post and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Derek.

WIP: A+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Derek,

There was a post a while back around here from someone else asking about courses in and around the Glasgow area (I'm in Ayrshire, so not too far from you).

As I recall, this post prompted some useful advice that might help answer your question (I'm sure I recall Cardonald College was doing something along those lines)

I'll trawl around the archives later, and see if I can find it for you .... :D

Other than that, if at all possible, get hold of an old (working) PC, and just strip it, rebuild it, upgrade it, whatever ...just understand it. I found that it's the best way to learn for the A+ as a newbie.

IMHO :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. doctorlegg

doctorlegg Bit Poster

Cardonald is one of the colleges that I was looking at. They also run an A+ course I believe but at £500 it's definately out of my budget and, to be honest, I'd rather try the self study route first of all anyway. I might sign up for the PC Build and Repair course for January just to garauntee a place but I can always pull out if it doesn't seem as if it's going to be neccessary.

I'll definately try and do this - sure to be better than attacking my current machine! [​IMG]

Thanks for the advice, it's very much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Derek.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'd urge you on that option, Derek - it is definitely how I would choose to go for the A+ with the benefit of hindsight. Also, when I did it, this place wasn't on the go - this site is like an extra study resource all on it's own (and that is my genuine, unbiased opinion !)

Gav

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. doctorlegg

doctorlegg Bit Poster

I couldn't agree more with that and I've only been here for all of a day and a half! Just reading through past posts and reading about other peoples experiences has given me some ideas and inspiriation. Also the locals seem friendly too! [​IMG]

Just need to scrape together some pennies to get myself an old machine to let myself loose on and I'll be good to go.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers,
    Derek.