Local Authority Post - advice please ?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jakamoko, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi All,

I'm just about to send of for an IT Support Officer position with a local authority, supporting schools and Council premises. As I still have to achieve my first interview for any kind of IT position, I wondered if any of you had any particular hints, tips or advice to offer ?

I know a few of you here work in this area, so I'd be grateful for any advice you had to offer.

Thanks in advance :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Nice one Jak,

All the usual stuff like, brushing up your CV to include as much of your IT experience as possible. When I say experience I mean the tasks you can perform as you don’t have the on the job part. ie, Build, maintain and install modern PC architectures in a stand alone and networked environment.

I've found that being a PC tech is a lot more about your attitude and the way you handle others. You can teach most people about computers but not all of them have the patience and ability to talk to others in a non technical way. In my interview one of the main points I referenced to was being a tutor and having the ability to relay technical aspects to others that may not be all that technical.

I think if you can come across in both your CV and interview that you have more of an interest in people and helping them complete their daily workload rather than being a total geek and knowing all there is to know about TCP/IP then in this kind of job you'll do well.

A lot of my time is spent not just fixing or setting up stuff but talking to staff trying to help them by making thing easier. If you can think of a better way to do something and can relay that easily then that’s so much more helpful in the employer’s eyes.

Just my £2's worth

HTH, SimonV

And good luck

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Great news Gav! Good Luck, I can't add a lot to what Si has said to be honest. He's right about attitude to users but don't give the impression you'd be a push over, you need to be able to say no as well. Show you can prioritise the IT world that may collapsing around you. When the mail server has imploded and the backup server gone on a tour of BSOD land, you've got to be able to tell mavis on reception that her not being able to change the font in word is so far down your list of priorities you might think about her next week in the nicest possible way. That all comes back to what Si is saying about attitude and how you handle the users.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Brush your shoes, teeth and hair before your go.

GOOD LUCK

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

What can I say, guys - the above advice will be invaluable. I'm off to change my Statement in Support to include all your advice - thanks a million :thumbleft

@Phil - thanks, mate but I'm only at the form-filling stage yet - need to see if I actually get to interview ... :cry:

@Sandy - I was kinda hoping you'd lend me your boots if I get selected :P :oops:

Thanks chaps - you always come up with the goods -now lets see if I can ......

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity