Live Online Training vs Instructor Led Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by RalphHartman, Feb 16, 2010.

1. RalphHartman

RalphHartman New Member

I have been given the opportunity to get one of the two choices:

New Horizons Online Live Training for 7 different classes (including
    exams)

or

Directions Training Instructor Led for 4 classes (including exams one
    class is a 7 day boot camp)

My question is, has anyone taken New Horizons "Online Live" training
    classes or ANY ONLINE LIVE Training for that matter? Are they near as good as instructor led training ? Or is
    it just a step above doing the CBT ?

Thanks for the opinions

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've taken an online instructor led course recently with another company. They werent too bad, although the format we were using was live webex sessions. Given the small number of attendees, we were able to ask questions, etc.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

In theory live online isn't bad, especially if you don't want to travel.

It doesn't match the engagement of live-in-person though. Clunky Internet connections can ruin it, so can everybody trying to ask a question at the same time.

Microsoft tried online distance learning, but it doesn't really seem to have taken off.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Currently taking a CCNA course via webinar in the evenings. Got to say, it's totally different from a residential course with TP where you're away from familiar surroundings, family and your own bed.

I don't much like being away from home anymore, so being able to walk out of the office, downstairs for a snack and coffee, and say hi to wife and son is great.

Plus, it's cheaper, because there's no travel or hotel room to pay for, and I can do this course to fit around the day job and other commitments

The thing to bear in mind with any TP led course though, webinar or F2F, is that you need to realise that the course itself will not help you pass the exam. You need to study 'out of hours', ideally on appropriate kit and using other good reading and practice exam material.

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have no knowledge of the company you refer to, i'm afraid. I do think online live training has a valued place. It has many of the same benefits of a classroom in the comfort of your own home.

As Jonny has already pointed out; I would suggest a trial to see if the quality is good enough to understand the instructor properly and the other attendees.

Do they offer a free session for you to sit in? If not, why not?!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. RalphHartman

RalphHartman New Member

I want to thank everyone for responding. I did request a demonstration of the online live class (the same one I would normally be taking). I would have to agree, there is just something lost with the "Virtual classroom" experience. I could not help but think, why not just buy the CBT for 1/10th the price.

Sure you can ask questions of the instructor but no one did which changes the learning from a two way interactive session to a one way broadcast, which I can purchase for 1/10th the cost.

So in my opinion the three extra courses for the same cost was NOT worth it.

Again thank you everyone for your opinions.