little help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qcha1o, Jan 7, 2005.

1. qcha1o

qcha1o Bit Poster

right where do i start, sometimes when i shut down my pc or turn it off when it hangs, when i come to restarting or turning it back on the cpu has changed its name and its mhz It is a amd 2000+ xp but have had all sorts.
    any ideas would be helpful.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: ??on a break
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Not quite sure what's happening here. When you say that your PC hangs on shut down, do you mean you go to start -> Turn Off Computer -> Shut Down and it fails to shut down? You also mention that this only happens sometimes, not on every instance.

I've never heard of a CPU changing its name or speed before. Was his machine upgraded and particular the CPU? Could you provide a few more details to help us troubleshoot the problem? Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

my CPU will throttle its speed at boot if it restarted due to overheating
    and if your Bios isnt saving it can often result in it setting the clock speed to default (400mhz or something on newer systems, bios dependant)

not sure about the name though, mine all still come back with the same name if theres ever a problem

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I have experienced a similar problem in that if I have had to force a shutdown by holding the power button :confused3 When I power it up It occasionaly changes the speed of the CPU and reports it as an AMD 1350 MHz instead of AMD 2200+ MHz. Now come to think of it this tended to happen when I was having overheating problems, cant say I have noticed it since I got my shiney new ThermalTake MKIII case.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  5. qcha1o

qcha1o Bit Poster

what it is if the pc hangs and i have to shut it down or just when i finished for the day and shut it down on start up the above some times happen but its not all the time.
    If you need any more please ask because i'm lost

6. qcha1o

qcha1o Bit Poster

Hi Nelix the problem you had did that happen with a normal shut down and startup, was it also random?

7. qcha1o

qcha1o Bit Poster

Sorry i put it in the wrong area fellas:oops: