linux wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by zxspectrum, Jun 12, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi people

I cant connect my wireless ee pc laptop to my wireless network. i can connect straight away with an ethernet connection where it doesnt ask me for and key, it just connects. I set up the wireless connection wizard and type in the key, the only thing i can see being different is the encryption settings. Mine is set on wpa2 where as when i get the options for encryptino when setting up i only get wep and wpa not wpa2???

Ay ideas on this please

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Well, I'm not very experienced with wireless but I know that you can logon to the router and change the level of encryption.

It might be that your wireless card doesn't support wpa2 and so you can change the setting by connecting on ethernet and opening a web browser then entering your router IP address (which you can obtain from ipconfig in cmd prompt). Then you're in the router menu where you will be able to set and change password and encryption settings etc.

It might just be that you need some software in order to use the wireless connection though, I'm not overly sure. It should tell you in the manual that came with the router you're using.

Hope this helps

Edit: Oh yea, Linux. I'm talking windows but it's probably the same in Linux (-cmd prompt and ipconfig?). The router interface will remain the same in any case.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  3. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

I'm pretty certain that those ee pc's come set up with the necessary packages to connect wirelessly. One of the guys here has one that I set up to acces the network via ethernet but I remember that the wireless settings were already there and that was how he connected at home.

As far as I'm aware, wireless setting must match exactly, including the encryption level, so if the AP your trying to connect to does not support wpa2 and that is how your trying to connect, I doubt it will work.

Is there an option within the ee pc to connect via wpa instead of wpa2?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi again guys

All sorted i had to modify the access list via the router, thats what was stopping me

Cheers for your feedback though

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Which unit is using which type of encryption? Is your EEE using WPA or WEP? I haven't set one of those up so I'm not sure what the EEE uses by default, but TimotheC is correct in that you need to have both your router and EEE on the same page as far as security settings.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Not sure if this is any use to ya ed but when I was looking on the net for a spec sheet I cam across this forum - might help ya with other issues : -

http://forum.eeeuser.com/

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???