1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux/Windows boot

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by kat731, Apr 30, 2005.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,
    did ask this to Phoenix, but he must be busy, so throwing out to the rest of ya..
    Bought Mandrake 9.2 to learn about Linux. On my 2nd laptop i have a dual boot C:/D: 98/2k. i installed linux and robbed half of 98s c: drive for it, now linux boots ok at the lilo thing, and when i say windows it gives me the option of 2k or 98. 98 boots fine, but i have this message when i try 2k. "Win2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.<win2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please reinstall a copy of the above file."
    Just like your thoughts on this, i thought it would have created probs on the shared partition with 98, not d: 2k that it dosent share?? Just trying to learn, hope you can put me straight..
    Thanks,
    Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

ack, u never got my reply?

Edit: well according to my PM box i never sent a reply, must of hit back before the submit had gone thru, ack sorry :/

What i did say was you should be able to boot into recovery mode and fix the faulty file, the file is not stored in the boot sector as far as I am aware and hence should not of been damaged during the lilo installation, especially as lilo was likely installed onto the MBR of the C: not the Win2k disk

it could be a coincidence as installing lilo on a seperate disk shouldnt affect it in the slightest

unless its ofset the disk partition number somewhat, in which case you may need to change boot.ini

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0