1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux+ vs. the LPIC-1

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by mcrilly, Jun 28, 2011.

1. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

After I complete my CCNA, I want to get my LPIC-1 or my Linux+. Although my end goal is to ultimately become a network engineer, I still feel I should keep my Linux skills up to scratch and certified - mainly for personal satisfaction and a love for Linux in the server arena, but also for potential employment options in the future.

That being said which do I do, the Linux+ or the LPIC-1? I remember reading about the Linux+ and I could have sworn it stated that you can apply for your LPIC-1 if you pass it. Is this correct; is it the other way around or have I misread something somewhere along the line?

Also which one is more prestigious?

As a side note, I intend to take the RedHat route once I have bolted these basic certifications onto my CV. I do strongly believe, overtime, that Linux will continue to penetrate (more so) the enterprise and corporate world.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Whichever one you want, looks like they're the same thing now.
    CompTIA and LPI Join Forces to Advance Global Linux Workforce / What's New? / About LPI / Home - LPI -

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

No problem. I was interested myself, although I don't really have time to play with Linux much nowadays.

5. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

If it's not in your day-to-day job, then having the time or inclination can be an issue. Luckily, I administrate about ten boxes.

6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think you've got my job, it must be, it's the one I ordered. :biggrin
    I'm not jealous, not in the slightest :cry:

I've just cracked open the Todd Lammle CCNA book I bought today. I've already passed the CCENT at work, and I'm aiming for the real CCENT now. All I need now is some good hands-on with the IOS, speedier subnetting and a refresher on all the basic networking concepts. From what I've seen, the Network+ covers most of the networking concepts so most if that bit is second nature to me now.

7. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

Well it's mine! ALL MIIINNNEE! *EVIL LAUGH*

I jest. I am lucky with my job really as I get to play with all kinds of stuff. After being in the job for a month, and having ZERO Cisco experience, I was installing, configuring and maintaining Cisco switches. The week after that I remember I was handed a Nokia firewall to flash - that got me some experience with IPSO. I've also handled 3Com stuff, Juniper, etc. It's all good fun.

I used the official Cisco Press book for my ICND-1 and found it to be more than enough. I'm using the Cisco Press ICND-2 book for my, er, ICND-2 and I will book the exam a few months from now (because I can only study in the evenings and weekends, so I want to make sure I get enough time to read through the book).

Where in the UK are you (if applicable)?

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You're not helping.:cry:

I might look at the ICND-1 book, I'll see how it goes with the Lammle book and the online course provided by my work. In fact, they'll probably have that book in their ebook section, I must remember to check.

I'm in Edinburgh.

9. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

Sorry buddy :(

On that note though, I am learning how-to install a ZFS clustered file system... sorry.

I'm sure the "Lammle" book will be fine. What is the online course like? Who is it run by? Is it a private course tailored for your employer or something anyone can buy?

Do you have a lab? I think a CCENT/CCNA lab would be really cheap. In fact a CCENT lab would only consist of a switch (a 2900XL would do, but you would want something with IOS 12.2+ on it, so perhaps a 3500) and a 2500 or 2600 router, or maybe two routers so you can create a serial link between the two, simulating a leased line.

That's a shame. That rules out being able to help you with my lab then.

10. mahart

mahart New Member

Hi mcrilly,

Mario here from PaulPaulito.com. We created study material to help you getting LPIC certificied. If you are interested, simply check it out. Obviously I am not allowed to create any link to lead you directly to out page...but hey...you are a Linux guy, you will find it if you want to ;-)

Cheers,
    Mario

Certifications: LPIC-1, LPIC-2, CLE 8-10, Solaris 10, ITIL, div. SUSE Linux certifications
    WIP: none
  11. ickle97116084

ickle97116084 Bit Poster

Good to see someone else from my neck of the woods! I am in Edinburgh also.

Certifications: Bsc (Hons), Prince2 Foundation, Network+
  12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

There's another couple of us on here.