Linux QOTD for June 28th (Experiment)

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Phoenix, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

As various Linux flavors provide solutions in various ways, I have decided there would be too many factors in determining a true 'question of the day' format that was cross distribution (although alot of common tasks are identical)

So I am testing out this new Question of the Day system, it actually is asking you, the reader, a question, which you need to answer (plese include your distribution and version obviously) this will help to perhaps create an archive of commonly used tasks across distributions, and will help those of us familiar with certain distros to adapt to other distros

heres todays question as an example

How would you remove a directory, along with all its contents including sub directories, without being promted for every file deletion?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Fedora Core 1

rm -rf directoryname/

right so thats the format I was looking for
    probably a bad example today as it basically is identical to most if not all distros and UNIX systems, but without multi choice answers should make it more interesting anyway
    so take your shot penguins

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good one Phoenix.

My distro's are SuSE 9.0/9.1

rm -rf directoryname/

As you pointed out most of the basic commands will be the same or similar.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685