Linux Interface

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Fergal1982, Nov 11, 2005.

?

Which Linux Interface do you Prefer?

1. KDE

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Gnome

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. X-Windows

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ok guys, what do you use primarily?

I started using KDE by default, but ive been playing a little with Gnome, and its certainly growing on me! not sure i like the main taskbar being at the top, but if i dont im sure theres a way to change it. :biggrin

(Sorry theres only a couple of options, these are the main ones i think)

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You forgot to create the actual poll so people could vote, even if they didn't post. I use Gnome mainly, which is on my Debian box at work. I have a number of Linux virtual machines in VMware so it just depends on whether they are running KDE or Gnome.

EDIT: My bad. Forget what I said about the poll not being there. I didn't scroll up. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i dont think it was there to start with. i posted it then the poll page came up!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I am a Gnome user. I've never really liked the KDE interface because it always takes a lot of work to make it easy on my old eyes, plus there have been problems with the way a lot of fonts display in KDE too. I can have it set to the same font size and display resolution as Gnome, and many of the fonts in KDE look so small I have constant eye strain using it.

Maybe KDE has figured it out by now, I don't know, I'm just so used to Gnome at this point I don't think I'll switch. I like the Nautilus interface for a graphical presentation of the file system better than I like Konqueror too. It's the font thing with this again too.

As to Gnome having the task bar at the top, well, I really like it. When I log onto a Windows machine anymore I'm constantly going to the top left corner of the screen to start applications.... :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I use KDE, mainly because I don't use the linux machines much so I tend to stick with the default.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

ive moved my windows task bar to the top to mimic my gnome too, lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

going with KDE too folks, but erm.....no particular reason not to use gnome :oops:

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  8. SamuelClyde

SamuelClyde Nibble Poster

I use Gnome basically because its not as bloated as KDE and its very functional :)

Sometimes I switch to XFCE (Blindingly fast, Good for people that want low resource on slower computers) which is also rather functional and good looking

Having a bar at the top of the screen dunne bother me on Gnome, I rig it with useful shortcuts, CPU/Network/Load/HDD Monitors, and a Commandline Input, Comes in really really useful and saves me going though all the menus, The Right click menu on XFCE is also a interesting feature =)

(By the way, if you want to try KDE/XFCE on Ubuntu, Install either Kubuntu-desktop or Xubuntu-dektop Packages using Synapic or Apt-get)

WIP: GCSE's / Network +
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Not according to Linux Torvalds. Click Here.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. SamuelClyde

SamuelClyde Nibble Poster

Having Gnome AND Kde installed at the same time would just be overkill :p Still I do use a fair few KDE apps here on Gnome, Specially Amarok.

Ive Simply just got comfortable with Gnome

WIP: GCSE's / Network +