Linux Experience Counts

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, May 3, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm running out of data I can plug into my current project and asked my Project Manager if he had anything in the pipeline he could give me. He just came to me and said that he has a project spawned by a major commercial software company (sorry...no names) where they need someone to install, test and document how one of their products works on Linux.

Since I have Linux "experience", my PM said I was the "perfect guy". I just thought I'd slip that piece of info in for whoever might be interested. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You never know what obscure bit of knowledge will enable you to be the best person for the job! Happens quite often. Back at the "old test company", I'd usually be the one who picked up the more obscure certifications because I was the only one who had touched those technologies. So when there's an opportunity to pick up a new skill, take it. Every little advantage helps!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Linux...obscure? :blink :biggrin

4. BosonMichael

Relatively speaking, yes. It's easy to find a tech who knows Microsoft. But it's much harder to find a Linux tech simply because Linux is not as prevalent as Microsoft. Not saying it's not as good or not as worthwhile... I'm just saying that it's not as prevalent. We had a single Linux server, and we never had to touch it. Most of our customers didn't have any Linux servers.

Basically, what I'm saying is... if you had a bunch of people there who knew Linux, you may or may not have been the right man for the job! Fact is, there just aren't that many techs that are very experienced with Linux.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I was just yanking your chain, Michael. No worries. :biggrin

6. BosonMichael

Eh, I knew you weren't as rabid as Freddy. Heh!!!! :p

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

:) where is the old hobo these days?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cheers James, i will have to check them out, i am suffering freeloader withdrawal symptoms :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)