Linux Certification Not Required

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, May 14, 2009.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Linux Certification Not Required

The topic of certification surfaces every so often in technical circles--especially when job seekers face tough job competition. The value of such certifications comes into question versus that of years of experience. For experienced technicians and engineers, the opinion is that experience is the most important for landing a job. In the minds of newbies and wannabes, certifications rule. Certifying authorities and vendors, of course, want you to spend the money obtaining the certifications and are ready to cite instances where certification is required for employment. I, myself, was caught up in the certification frenzy back in the early 90s with Novell's now defunct NetWare product. I took the classes, amounting to about $1,500, for the first certification...

Find out why Ken Hess doesn't believe certifications, Linux or otherwise, are required by going to Daniweb.com.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      I have to agree. Having said that, there is no doubt that the knowledge you hopefully gain, while studying for the certifications, will be very useful to you as a person and therefore proper study does have it's benefits.
    2. JK2447
      JK2447
      I think that someone without certificates can be just as if not more knowledgeable than someone with providing they have experience in their field. Personally I like certifications because they give me a guide line as to what I should know at my level of experience.