Linux Certification anyone?

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by zimbo, Jul 1, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

After seeing the responses on nug's two threads on linux:
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread11364.html
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread11393.html

and the results on switching to linux which ended up shockingly in favour of linux... my question to you guys out there is who would consider a linux cert - if so which one and why? I mean we have the RHCE and RHCT from Red hat... LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 from LPI.. Ubuntu Certified Pro from LPI and Ubuntu..Linux+ from Comptia.. CNE from Novell (SusE). Or if you considering switching to Solaris (unix) the Solaris Certification program from Sun?

Any thoughts? :biggrin as we can see we have agreed that the need for Linux pro's will grow so why arent many people consdering these certs from now?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I have to admit Zimbo, I personally was considering doing Comptia's Linux cert at some point, but as it has the CCNA and MCSE exams to contend with, im not sure I will be doing it any time soon.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

finally someone! Im looking at LPIC-1 after MCSA... but it will more likely happen this time next year...

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I for one want to learn more about Linux which is why i still use u/Kubuntu.
    When i find the time (ie after MCSE) i would like to start off with Linux+ :)
    Any links to hand Zim on Ubuntu Certification?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

7. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Personally, around these parts (DC metro area), Solaris and then RH. Linux+ is fine, but a *lot* of server rooms are either dusty with Solaris, or shiny with RHE. Seems logical to me....

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thats music to my ears! 8)

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks for the links guys :thumbleft

10. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Actually Zimbo........

After looking at the LPI1, and checking out that the exams are 86 quid each (Even though there are two of them) instead of the inflated 154 that the Linux+ is, im seriously considering doing the LPI.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily looking at the monetary side of it, even though it is a comtemplation, but I honestly think Comptia are charging a little too much for it and thus should be boycotted. Anyway, the bonus for me on the LPI would be that if I did get heavily interested, I could progress to the LPI2 then 3... when they come out with it, instead of having to decide on an actual distro and taking that exam after ive done the Comptia Linux +

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

No!

(and again no to satisfy the minimum length requirement)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I think I would like to start with L+ as it is not distro specific. I'm thinking of trying to squeeze it in after my XP Pro MCP. Maybe after that I'd play it by ear.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

LPIC is not *that* distro specific... the only thing you need to choose is if you want to have RPM or DPKG questions... sybex brought out a guide but i havent looked at it yet... i dont know about the comptia one.. alot of people tell me its *easy* often not refering to linux...

14. Dudde

Dudde New Member

I'm not sure which one I'd do, probably the basic linux ones like redhat, etc.

A Linux Qualification is definitely the way to go though, especally with open source taking off... I know I'll regret saying this after doing my MCSE but Windows is slowly disappearing :blink

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I thought the Redhat was one of the hardest certs to achieve? Could be wrong or outdated now.....

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Talk about a blast from the past. Anyway, Red Hat certs are supposed to be pretty elite. You can only take the exams at very specific venues (not as common as Prometric or VUE) and the whole thing is hands on...at least as I recall.

Certifications in the Linux world don't mean the same thing as in the Microsoft world. For one thing, Microsoft as a corporation makes a significant income off of the study materials (at least Microsoft Press books) and the exams themselves.

There is not "Linux Corporation" so its up to the individual vendors such as Red Hat and Novell or vendor neutral cert administrators like CompTIA or LPI to provide exams and such.

In the Linux world, people aren't as impressed that you have a certification. They want to know if you can do the job. If you want to add Linux administration to your skill sets, I'd suggest that you start studying Linux in general. There are a ton of really good books out there written just for that purpose.

Also, try to define exactly what it is about Linux that fits into your career plans and start studying for that. It may or may not map to a particular cert, however the goal here is to make you more marketable, not just to add to the initials after your name.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

great post.

i for one am hoping to get a basic linux cert after a couple of ms ones. i'm interested in sys/network admin in general and would be just as happy to be offered an opportunity to work in either win server or unix environments...ideally a job that involves both...

Certifications: 271
  18. Crito

Crito Banned

Thing about Red Hat tests is they're performance-based and done in a lab. It's like the simulations in MSCE 2003 tests, except they're not simulations. :blink

Difficultly-wise I think the RHCE is somewhat overrated though. It almost seems like they give away RHCT as a consolation prize if you fail the $750 test. To quote a mod and RHCE from another forum: "RHCT is doable by a dead dog propped up with a stick". :ohmy
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=422942

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  19. starfury6

starfury6 Nibble Poster

Hey guys,

Long time since I posted here and last time I was just taking my Red Hat Certified Technician RHCT cert which I passed nicely.

This time I am going for the next level and have the RHCE exam following a 4 days Red hat System Security and Networking course over the w/c 29th October.

After getting my RHCT I landed a role working for IBM back in the place where I accepted voluntary redundancy as a designer! Very amusing, although not to some of the engineering staff :-) I have been doing UNIX Application Support and a little server admin since then (almost 2 years now) and am hoping to pass the RHCE and move into a Linux Sys Admin role in the new year. The current contract is up at the end of this one so it's time to move along.

Probably looking to move into the city (London) too which should be interesting.

Certifications: RHCT4, RHCT5
    WIP: SCSA
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on your success thus far, Starfury and good luck on the upcoming exam. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+