LinkedIn - Do you use it? has it been useful? do you pay?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NoCompanyIT, Jun 11, 2009.

1. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

I'm just playing around with LinkedIn at the moment and thought it was free, unfortunately you have to pay a subscription in order to send an Inmail directly to a user. You do get 5 free introductions but I don't need that.

I just searched for companies in my area, browsed the employees of the company and it lists their name and job role, which is great as I just found someone that works as a Service Desk Analyst at a large company. Only I have to pay to contact him.

All I wanted to know was how he got the job at this company as I've never seen them advertised.

So there's the good and the bad from a quick 5 min play. I'll see what else I can find.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

LinkedIn -
    Do you use it? Yep
    Has it been useful? Ish
    Do you pay? No

That pretty much sums it up :p I don't (and wouldn't) use it for job hunting etc, but I feel that the connecting with various people in the business is useful.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I'm registered but hardly use it and certainly wouldn't pay for it. Much prefer good old facebook for keeping touch with old mates, work mates etc

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Most people I know don't pay as the additional features aren't viewed as being worth the (rather high) cost.

Having said that, I do make extensive use of my network connections. I can put a couple of lines in for my status (usually saying something like "still job-hunting, please contact me if you have a suitable position") and I also make use of the events etc.

Now if you're trying to contact total strangers then yes, that's more difficult and probably not generally encouraged. However, if you build your own network of connection s and join groups then that gives you an "in" and a way of asking your connections to introduce you to one of theirs (which is free).

Overall, I view it as positive and I do know someone who was contacted about a job he was subsequently offered.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What he said. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Qs

Copycat! :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Same here

A copying copycat

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

Its good to see what other people have done (if they provide that information) in terms of previous jobs and quals ect..

You can get other people on there to recommend you as well so if potential employers search for you on there they can see the sort of people you have worked with and who has recommended you. I suppose that is quite useful. I joined it because my company went on it and I got invited. Not quite sure what it's all about yet except to be a bit nosey!

Dom 8)

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think as long as your profile is looking ok and you have got some good recommendations on there it can't hurt. You never know what kind of opportunity might come along from it. That's the way I see it at the moment.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. Qs

What he said :)

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nope. Don't need it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

.... and, of course, the Certforums group on there is handy for discussion when the forum's down :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  13. Qs

Number ONE reason for being on LinkedIn :p

Qs