Link Router with new pc

Discussion in 'Networks' started by asian_100, Jul 26, 2007.

1. asian_100

asian_100 Bit Poster

Hi ppl

Just got a second hand PC. I already have one more PC, it has router connected to it. The other PC has linux and kubuntu intaslled on it. How shall I link my home PC with the second hand PC. My home PC has wired router connection because it isn't wireless. So if I had to buy a wireless router adapater, the useb one for the second hand computer. Do I have to buy wireless adapter for my home PC as well. Can't I have one PC with wired connection and another with wireless. They are both going to use the same router.

2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Only if the router has a wireless capability as well, otherwise what will the wireless pc connect to.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. asian_100

asian_100 Bit Poster

Yeah the router has wireless capability. But will I have to go wireless with both PC's?

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Better to buy a network card for the Linux machine. If it has been installed correctly it will recognize most of the usual cards around. My preference would be for an Intel card.

USB can be somewhat problematic on Linux, particularly with older hardware.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No - you can mix wireless and wired.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

You may have to give us more information about what you have.

What is your 'router'? Is it a modem that connects to the internet; or does it connect to a modem that does so?
    Is it a wireless access point (WAP)?

It is common for home-routers to be able to share connections, whether they are wired or not, it just depends on the connection points it has. You can have a wireless connection for your second computer, if it is a WAP, and it will allow you to connect to your home computer (and the internet, as I said - but you didn't).

If the second hand computer is to be connected wirelessly, you will need either a usb-wireless connector, or a wireless-network card for it.

I'm beginning to waffle aren't I? I can tell. I get this funny frustrated feeling, and I say to myself: you're waffling again! Look, help me out here - give us the information we need, or I'm just going to end up in some waffling spiral of doom and disappear up my own bottom....

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+