1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life Cycle of a USB Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TimoftheC, May 29, 2008.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Now, I'm sure some of the clever clogs on this forum are already aware of this, however, I just read an article about USB Flash Drives and the fact that they have a limited life expectancy of either 10,0000 or 100,000 reads, depending on the type of memory used: -

http://www.getusb.info/what-is-the-life-cycle-of-a-usb-flash-drive/

Thought this was pretty interesting as was new to me so I thought I'd share it.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I didn’t realise there would be a limited number of times you could read/write to a flash drive. It makes sense though, not many things last forever. The number of times you can connect/disconnect a USB plug and socket is a lot lower than I would have expected.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I've had my PNY 2 gig for over 2 years and it gets connected/disconnected at least 20 times a day.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Yeah Geek, I have a 256mb disgo that costs me about £40 4 years ago and that's still going strong. Mind you, just brought a 4gb one for £15 - funny how prices can drop when something gets popular :biggrin

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  5. Crito

Crito Banned

I was worried about that when I started using ReadyBoost on my Vista machines. But according to Microsoft the life expectancy of a flash drive is over 10 years!

http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  6. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

10,000 uses over 10 years is about complete writes a day, so on a 4GB drive that means writing 4GB 3 times a day....so yeah, over 10 years is gonna be pretty accurate

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  7. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've never seen one fail. Then again, I haven't seen one that's 10 years old, either. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!