Life after MCSA....

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kraven, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Hey guys,

I've got one more exam to pass to get my MCSA, but when I pass I dont know what to do next.

I'm a PC technician and I'm enjoying the job. I've been working there around 5 months now so I'm still learning loads. I always like to be learning or studying something new but I dont know what cert to move onto.

I was thinking about going for the MS vista (70-620) exam as I havent used it much but my collegues advised we wouldnt be implementing Vista for years so theres no point. I was also thinking about doing the Linux+ exam just to learn alot more about linux but I dont get any exposure to it at work. Another idea was to do the A+ as its aimed at the job I'm doing but it's a basic cert compared to what I've got already.

I know I could go for the MCSE but I'm not really interested in doing the exams for it.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks
    Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes personally I would not really bother with the A+ unless you did that first. My thinking is I completed my A+ to get my foot it the IT door a number of years ago, now if I had an mcsa it would suggest a different role entirely mostly roles that fit the mcsa exactly dont actually get to see the insides of a pc at all (in that sized environment if it goes wrong the computer gets replaced).

I think that learning about linux would be a very positive step as it seems to have the best chance of being any alternative to windows (especially as you can intergrate them now as member servers in a domain). But again its something I would proberbly tinker with in the background and concerntrate on something a bit more current. Personally I'm quite partial to a citrix cert as citrix is pretty much a defacto standard for remote working.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What about a Server 2008 cert? Some of the features bundled with Server 2008 will be in direct competition with Citrix and it *should* be a more cost effective option for many companies.

Do you have a volume licence agreement for your Windows XP PCs\laptops at work? If not you will struggle to get a laptop with XP pre-installed fairly soon therefore you may see some Vista laptops appearing on your network. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Hey Sparky,

We have a standard XP ghost image which we put on the new devices.

Any advise with choosing either the Vista cert or linux+?

Thanks
    Kraven

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I’ve just finished reading the MS Press book for the 70-620 and it was a good read tbh.

Linux jobs don’t seem to be cert orientated in comparison to MS jobs that will list MCSE, MCP or whatever. I would be surprised if there was one advertised with Linux+ listed as a requirement however commercial experience is valuable. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Traitor!! :x

Just kidding. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Even so, certain machines that come with Vista (applies more to laptops I guess) can be very difficult to find XP drivers for. We had a laptop recently that we gave up with in the end as we just couldn't get a complete set of XP drivers for it. Had to bite the bullet and go with Vista.

Vista kind of works in our predominantly Server 2003 environment, but certain things don't seem to work that well (printer and login scripts as an example).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Hey guys,

Think I'm gonna have a long rest from certs and then attempt the 70-620.

Thanks
    Kraven