LGA775 ain dead yet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Aug 26, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Intel plan to release a new 3.4GHz celeron with a multiplier of 17 this will be an overclockers dream cpu http://www.techpowerup.com/102396/Intel_Plans_3.40_GHz_Celeron_E3900_for_2010.html

Better start saving those pennies if you want one :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good if you have an older board with the 775, however it's still a Celeron with 1MB of cache and doesn't support Intel-VT :D

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yup but with the multiplier you could bump up the FSB and it'll be pretty quick anyway, and celerons just a name now. This can't be a bad cpu like the other celerons.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yup! It's a name that means, "Avoid Like The Plague!!!" :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The recent ones yeah, but there is one celery that has a special place in my heart ...

The 300A!

It was a great chip at the time it came out, and best of all, it would overclock to 450Mhz from 300 with no problems at all! That was a massive overclock by the standards at the time.

When I owned one, it was the best bang per buck system I had ever had, and was really fast even compared to the top end Pentiums at the time. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. BosonMichael

Still a nerfed proc. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Don't care, I loved it, and it was fast! :)

edit: I thought it may be worth looking up the PII 450 which was also out at that time. Obviously the Celery 300A wasn't meant to run at 450Mhz, but it did, and reliably too. It's 128K L2 cache was on die and ran at full speed compared to the PII's which was off die and ran at half of the CPU's speed. So the Celery compared very well and in some benches was faster. The PII 450 was also neary 5 times the cost! A bit similar to some of the extreme chips you can get these days that stupidly rich people no doubt buy for bragging rights. :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. BosonMichael

I bought a PIII 500 and couldn't have been happier, especially for the price. :) I wasn't going to pay big bucks for a 733 MHz flip chip.

9. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Ah, I had an OC'd 300 as well. It ran roughly the same speed as my 'true' 450. Yeah, overclocking that 300 was super simple, it was more to do with the memory anyway. Had to get some ram which ran at 100mhz versus the 66's that one typically got for the Celery's at the time.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM