Level 2 beard

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Phoenix, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Today I sucessfuly installed OpenBSD from an FTP install (2mb iso to start)

Manually added KDE and configured the X server to use it
    Manually installed a new shell (Bash, the common linux one not native to BSD)
    Manually set up my alias/path/and prompt in bash (now instead of saying -bash-2.5b$ it says [rcoates@puffy /usr/local]#)

all in all pretty pleased with myself, BSD is a fair ammount different from linx, and i pretty much had to relearn a few things (like partitioning!) but all in all its pretty handy to know and im glad there are so many ported linux apps for BSD

so as my friends would say, i've gained my Level 2 beard :P (in reference to old bearded geeks who grew up hard coding mainframes) :)

I know it doesnt sound like much, but many of you who have used linux will know that generally X is configured during install, bash is the default shell anyway, and the bash profile is generally configured to a useful state

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Way to go Phoenix. Soon you'll be eligable for your tweed jacket with fake leather elbow patches:biggrin.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Phoenix

Well done - My wife would never let me grow a beard! But I do need a hair cut been 8 weeks now!!