Lets try and solve this HDD swap problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oggler, Mar 20, 2007.

1. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

Hardware:
    Computer A with 256 MB RAM, 40 Gig HDD (HDD-A), P4 1.5 WinXP Home
    Computer B with 256 MB RAM,
    Computer C with 256 MB RAM, 80Gig HDD (HDD-C), P4 Celeron, Ubuntu 6

Scenario:
    Built computer A. Works a treat. 2 1/2 years later MB dies. Other parts OK.

Was building computer B, so I take the HDD and stick it in. Works great, but need a better looking and NEW machine.

Bought computer C which came with Ubuntu. Removed HDD-C and stuck HDD-A. Machine loops on boot up. Keep on asking for safe mode, normal mode, safe mode with networking etc. You know the screen I am talking about.

Don't know what the problem is. BIOS is OK. Replace HDD-C (with Ubuntu) and it works fine. Replace with HDD-A (winXP Home), no go.

I know I can reformat the original disc that came with computer C and install XP Home on it, but wih all the configurations (network setings, mapped drives, office settings and document locations, email, etc etc) I don't want to do so. Moreover, I am a stingy bastard and want to keep the 80 Gig for myself and use the original 40 Gig seeing that I am not being paid for labour anyway.

Currently I am reformatting and reinstalling XP on another 40 Gig HDD which I hope will change the settings on computer C, so I can then replace it with HDD-A.

Anyone can shed any light on this?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The usual reason for this is that the motherboard is sufficiently different that either the HAL is completely wrong, or conflicts are happening between what the Registry is telling it to load, and what HAL is telling it to load.

In general, moving Windows drives like this is fraught with problems.

You *could* try booting the XP CD and doing a repair, but this *might* make the whole thing unrecoverable.

Best to put a new HDD and installation on, and mount the old drive as a slave.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

The drive has to be master. I am currently installing another HDD with XP and once it is working I will switch it with the original. That should do the trick.

Other than that I would have to reformat the disc that cane with Ubuntu and install XP on it and transfer the files etc which takes far longer.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Why? I have yet to see a drive with this limitation!
    Nope. The problem is with the windows installation on the drive not recognizing the hardware. You can't change the hardware to fit!
    I don't understand this. You are already installing XP on a spare drive. You don't need to mess with the Linux drive.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

The spare drive is just that. A spare drive. I use it for testing purposes etc.

Anyway, it did not work, so I suppose I will have to do what Harry said and make the blooming thing a slave and transfer files. Problem is the pain of configuring various settings.

Oh well I suppose its got to be done.