Let me introduce myself

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sirlukas, Apr 11, 2007.

1. sirlukas

sirlukas New Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Lukasz.
    I have been in England for about 2,5 years now, and I really want to start doing something productive.
    The problem arises when I want to find a job, I have no required certs or documented experience.

I have been "working" (never professionally) with MS based PCs for over 9 years now, solving problems, fixing things, modding, upgrading, (sometimes) building and finding faults concerning PCs. That was my self-study, through mistakes, and I love it.
    Whenever someone have had any problems with their PC, I was the person to call. So far I have never failed (seems like I understand PCs, if that makes any sense to you ;) ).
    All in all, I've decided to go further and start my career in IT, cause this is what gives me satisfaction + is future orientated.

My friend has started doing MCSE with Advent Training. I saw few modules he was given, and I think I could pass first 2 modules without preparing (not having IT education).
    The question is:
    What kind of jobs could I go for after accomplishing such course?
    Is it the most versatile course on the market, and how easy is it to requalify yourself into something else (just in case one doesn't enjoy the job anymore)?

OMG How boring that post must be, hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Anyway,

Hello to you all once again.

2. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Greetings,It's certainly a good path you've chosen, although you could self study and save a fortune.

There are that many different certs and career paths out there only you can decide which way you want to go, but when you do you'll find all the advice and guidance you need right here.

:thumbleft

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Whether MCSE is a good start for you depends on precisely what work you have been doing in the past, and what work you hope to do.

If it involves *hardware* then perhaps a better start would be A+. Or if you have been doing networking then Network+.

Depends on you really! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. sirlukas

sirlukas New Member

Thanks for quick response guys

mondos it sounds like a good idea, that self-study. If yes, then what book would you reccomend?

hbroomhall I thought MCSE includes it all?

5. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Mike Meyers all in one A+ 2006 version is a popular choice, check out the A+ forum on this site.

I did assume the Advent training did start with the A+ and then eventually onto MCSE. There are quite a few people who use this site that are on the advent course and there are a number of threads available on advent so check those out aswell to help you make up your mind.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  6. sirlukas

sirlukas New Member

All I know is that there are 8 modules to finish MCSE. Possibly starting with A+. Need to read a little bit more ;)

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A+ is not part of MCSE. The two certs are from different organizations.
    It *may* be a part of a course leading to MCSE. But that is up to the course provider.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Welcome

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certification is great, but it isn't the magical answer to getting a high-paying IT job. I'd recommend getting the A+ and looking for an entry-level IT job to start building experience. Then continue getting certifications, like the MCDST and Network+ while continuing to build your real-world experience. Eventually, your career will naturally progress to the MCSA and MCSE... but in all likelihood, that'll be a few years off.

Long story short, the MCSE is not the answer you seek, regardless of what training companies try to sell you... and keep in mind that this advice is coming from someone who sells certification training products for a living.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Delta

Delta Bit Poster

Hello, welcome and good luck on the study courses. :)

WIP: A+
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009