Length of study

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Steven, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Steven

Steven Bit Poster

Hi

I've just ordered some books to start the A+ so hopefully I'll get certified in a few months; fingers crossed!

I would like to then move onto the Network+ certificate. Could anyone please answer some of these questions I have:

Can the Network+ be studied at home?
    If so what good study books should be bought?
    Whats the approx recommended hours of study time before tests can be taken?
    Is it wise to move onto this course if I haven't gained employment in IT?
    Is the course more difficult than the A+?

How many tests to get certified and are they multiple choice?
    How much are the tests?

cheers folks

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yes.
    I was happy with the Mike Meyers book and the David Groth book. Complimented each other nicely.
    Hugely depends on you and your experience. I took a month, but then I'd been doing such things for some time. Others might take a lot longer.
    N+ is regarded as an entry cert - so I'd say yes.
    I'd say the same level - but different subject area.
    One, and yes.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Steven

Steven Bit Poster

Thanks Harry!

Once I'm certified at A+ and Net+ what likely entry jobs will I be looking at in the IT Industry. Would prefer not to be helpdesk in a call centre but would do it if necessary.

Realize it seems like a daft question but what other examples of technician jobs are out there?

Also, is it still difficult to get these jobs with the above cert's?

cheers mate

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Other examples of jobs would include being a technician in a local computer repair shop. Or setting up your own consultancy/repair business. Or working for one of the franchised mobile repair organizations.

There are a lot of different jobs out there. :biggrin

Certs give you an edge over people without them - assuming equivalent experience. You will find, though, that people who already have lots of experience will beat you in the race for a job until you have got more experience.

Of course, the prospective employer might not want to pay very well - so experienced people would not apply for that job!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Just to add to Harry's point, don't expect the A+ or N+ (or any other cert) to get you a job.
    Like Harry said: