Leaving with holidays...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Boycie, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Maybe i am being messed about but i might well have a start date for the new year! :biggrin

The question i have is that i have holidays left to take but for some strange reason my current employers holidays starts September not January. The are pestering people to book them now.
    How do i stand? I mean, if i leave at the end of the year and have booked days of in January? They also say people who don't book them by the end of this month will "loose" them!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cool Boyce, I was beginning to think my gut feelings were letting me down :biggrin

As for holiday pay, you should get it paid to you in your final payment from them. The company you work for should have a staff handbook, it will almost certainly cover this issue in there.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks pete! Like the new avatar!

as they run from sep-sep, say i leave the company at the end of Dec i will only be paid for the days entitled for sep,oct,nov,dec?

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

That sounds about right m8

Where I used to work they used this formula

Weeks worked this holiday year / 52 (weeks in the year) * Annual Holiday entitlement (in weeks)

If your holiday pay is earned as you work through the year, then at any particular time in the holiday year, this formula will tell you how much holiday you will have accrued.

Oh and unless your contract says that you will loose your holiday pay if not booked before a certain time, then they may very well be on dodgy ground. But you will need to read your contract along with the staff habdbook.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

our habdbook changes every 5 minutes :tongue

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

lol as all handbooks do, but your contract of employment will tell you your annual leave allowance, including Banks Hols.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks matey :thumbleft

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

They might even refine it down to actual working days in a year worked. In the UK, you earn an annual salary, say £20000. This salary is paid for the days you work (not weekends or public holidays or holidays). So the formula they use will take this into account. That is one reason why employers don't like carrying holidays over into another holiday year, it makes things very complicated to track.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Generally when an employer says you will 'lose' your holiday they mean that if you have any untaken holiday at the end of the holiday year (whenever that is) you cannot carry it forward into the next year. Hence you lose it.

Employers like everybody to book holidays well in advance so they know where they are in terms of cover. Then they know when to mess you about. It makes sense to book early, as it's usually first come first served.

If you have booked holiday with your old employer but not taken it before you leave, it will be included in your final pay if it falls within the current holiday year.

If you have made holiday plans (like booking flights and hotels) and then change jobs, you need to make your new employer aware of it straight away, during induction.
    You may need to accrue holiday, so it may be unpaid or you might have to do a deal. They are unlikely to insist that you cancel it, especially if it leaves you out of pocket.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD