Leaving & Start Date For New Role

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, Jun 1, 2015.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hey again peeps,

So I handed my notice in last week and I have an official date of the 24th of June. However, I have quite a bit of leave left over and am using it to leave a little earlier on the 12th of June. Now, my question is am I able to commence work at my new job before the 24th or do I get to have 2 weeks off before I start my new role? :redtowel:

2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

That depends on your contract. There may be an official cooling off period before you start at the new employer, and this would generally be your whole notice period. If I had to gamble, I'd say you're going to get a couple of weeks off ;)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Just been informed I only get 20 days holiday per year at my new company, I get 30 in my current role:gun:

Really not happy about this. Wouldn't of minded taking a hit on 5 less as I know most companies only give 25, but losing 2 full weeks is a lot. Should I have asked about holiday entitlement during the interview?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Absolutely, you should have waited for the contract to see what everything entailed.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Oh mate school boy error man. Assume nothing but hindsight is 20/20. You might be able to take back your notice if you're well liked in your current firm. I think you need to weigh up the cost of losing the holidays. In our place we can buy or sell up to 5 days so you might find that even with the cost of buying 5 days you're still better off in the new place. Give their HR a ring and discuss it mate.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

I had to give my new employer a leaving date before getting any contract, I still don't have the contract. I really want to work at the new company but losing 2 full weeks feels like a kick in the teeth.

7. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Also, I don't care about losing the money or having to pay for more holidays, my time off is very important to me!

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No, you misunderstand, you just gave up a job, with nothing signed to say you have another one, are you mad? I wouldn't be handing my notice in with the old company before I had everything in the new contract all sorted out and any small issues cleared up (like holidays).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

My new company asked for a leaving date before they were able to send me the contract, and I couldn't get a leaving date without handing my notice in. Is this not how it is done? I have not been in this position before and I am now massively stressed out. I want to work at the new place as it will be great for my career, but losing 2 full weeks of holiday is a lot and I am not sure I want to give it up. There are certain questions I need answers to from my new company (holidays etc), but I haven't asked them as not to upset them as I have no contract signed. On the other hand, my manager at my current company was prepared to offer me a better package and to email him with coniditions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

If I were in your shoes I would be contacting new company and discussing NOW everything that you have concerns about, this needs to be in your new contract before you sign it, otherwise they don't have to do anything to change the terms and conditions.

The fact your old boss is willing to re-negotiate is a good thing because if new company don't provide decent terms and conditions you can always go back to your old company (with a better package included).

As far as dates are concerned, usually you just say to them that you have x weeks notice, that you will hand your notice in once you have a mutually satisfactory contract and you will provide them with a specific date once you have signed and returned the contract, at least that's how I have always done it in the past (obviously not always the case when contracting but definitely with perm roles).