Leaving IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by adamramsey91, May 19, 2016.

1. adamramsey91

adamramsey91 Bit Poster

Hey Guys,

Is IT on the decline (in a support sense!?) - my latest contract has finished and I literally cannot find any jobs within 30 miles of me.

Feeling a little underwhelmed with everything at the moment, maybe it's time to look at another area as everyone i seem to speak to is saying get out of IT unless you specialize one area.

What's your thoughts?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

1. Do you enjoy IT ?
    2. Why the 30 mile limit ? (Can't you relocate?)
    3. How invested in IT are you ? How much experience and training ?
    4. What else would you be qualified to do ? Do you have other good options ?
    5. Do you have strong interests elsewhere ?
    6. Who are the people giving you the advice to leave or specialize. Did they offer advice on specialization ? Why do you prefer to leave than specialize ?
    Its your choice, ultimately I'd say you can't be that in to IT if you want to leave early in your career.

I've seen a fair amount of work go offshore, but there are always companies that need people locally to fix things.

If you're expecting an easy ride and easy money, its certainly not the industry to be in.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I was always under the assumption contractors would go anywhere in the country for a good contract. Can you not widen out your search criteria? All the contractors I've known have originally been from hundreds of miles away across the other side of the country

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud