Leaving for the right reason

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by BraderzTheDog, Jan 27, 2014.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hi All,

Just wondering where you stand on the career progression ladder... More importantly going the right way about it without burning bridges.

I'm in a very nice position (very difficult too), whereby I have a good job that I love and for a great company. I must say I really do not mind waking up in the morning and going to work. Don't get me wrong I'd rather stay in bed, but I far from hate it and really enjoy the people the business and the work in general.

Last week I got sort of head hunted by my employers largest competitor; and me being the silly boy I am went for the interview and got offered the job, so what do I do? I don't actually want to leave, but I thought I'd go see what its like. HELP!?

Bottom line; they offered me a ridiculous package... I'm thinking I would be stupid not to leave for the payrise alone.

Am I moving for the right reason?

Cheers!
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

If there willing to offer you a much better package than your current employer then i think you would be mad not to take. Its all very nice and well being comfortable and sounds like your happy in your current role, but if you've been there a while perhaps its time to take yourself back out the comfort zone and try a new adventure ;)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  3. BraderzTheDog

I hear you, only problem is I've worked in a place that I hated going to every day. I would hate to go back to something like that!

I suppose there's never a certain way to be sure until you move, its just a case of seeing if the pro's outweigh the con's.

Do you think money should be the driver?

4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

No. If you genuinely hated walking in to that place, you'd need to have some genuine guarantees that things had changed. Have you heard bad reports or do you have it on good account that the place that's hunted for you is a bad (or good) place to work?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Be very careful to check your contract as there may well be a clause in there saying "you will not leave us to work for a competitor for 12 months"

Look at the stability of the company, are they obssessed with "trimming the fat", are they hire and fire?

6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

If I had an objective in mind, I would go, if I didn't I would stay. For instance, I want to buy a few more houses so if I were in your shoes, I would leave. If you were comfortable and didn't need the extra cash I would stay.

You could go to your present employer and tell them what you have been offered, see if they will match it or give you a bit more.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. BraderzTheDog

Thanks for the advice,

I've got alot of views and its difficult for me, ofcorse more money would be nice and help alot. I do have a driver for more money in terms of hobbies I do that are very cash hungry.

I have decided to take the plunge and leave. I don't know how their internal hiring and firing politics work, but from my experience of a large company they tend to move people sidewards instead of getting rid. I think the boss is looking to replace some expensive contractors with permy engineers. I should be okay on that front I think.

I suppose I should go and see!

jk2447 likes this.
  8. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

A good idea might be to look at linkedin, to see how long staff employed there stay there, and indeed whether they sidestep or move up.

9. BraderzTheDog

Thats a pretty good idea! I may actually not be going anywhere!

My boss asked me what figure he would need to pay me to stay, and is going to give me a counter offer COP tomorrow.

Either way im about to let somebody down! :(

What position would it leave me in if I accept a counter offer, would that make them expect more from me as an engineer? I am flattered they are wanting to keep me, is it a good idea to stay after you've already told them your intentions of leaving?

10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

On the flip side, either way you're getting a payrise!

No, they cannot expect a magical amount of "more" from you because they felt compelled to make you stay because you're clearly worth more than you're on. Because that makes sense in my head.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

I was in this situation, I stayed put and got a promotion as well as a big increase in my salary. I did end up some years later working for the company I'd turned down - this is a win-win for you, a nice problem to have - go with your gut feeling!

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
    jk2447 likes this.
  12. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

Hey Brad
    looks like the choice is yours. You have he perfect hand at the card table.
    The worst you can do now is opt to stay for a bit more money (chances are they won't match it like for like).

The only thing i'd consider is some other factors such as:-
    Will the new job require you traveling more? an extra 10 mins in the morning is fine but an extra 30 may be a killer.
    What time to you finish? Can you "down tools" dead on 5pm now? will the new company see that as a half day finish?
    Will you be expected to be on call 24/7?

Money should not be the only factor when considering a move. Other factors can really make a difference.

I turned down a job interview for a company 5 mins from me for more money, simply because I know I'd hate the job.

ATB

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  13. BraderzTheDog

Cheers fellas,

I agree its a nice position to be in, I still haven't made up my mind which one to go for.

I think you are right G, maybe look at the logistics around working for each company and take the option that will work out the cheapest.

I currently drive to work and get a mileage scheme, the new job is over in Leeds quite central too and the parking is ball park £5 - £10 per day. Over the year that will work out approx 5k so I can subtract that from my payrise straight away! I get free parking where I work now also.

I'll have the counter offer later on and I'll let you know what happens! I should get a day or two to dwell on both offers.

Thanks again!

14. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

5K a year on parking :ohmy !!! no point getting a pay rise to give it straight to council. I baulk at paying 2.5K a year in petrol and I get free parking.

Unless public transport were you are is convenient (not like where I am) then that would be a real consideration!

The new company would have to be paying ££££££ more plus have significant opportunities for me to bite.

Still, I wouldn't hide my "enthusiasm" for the new job from my current employers until their counter offer was in my hand. Then, possibly I may reject the new job as "i just love it here" :)

Happy negotiations

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  15. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

16. BraderzTheDog

Ended up staying, matched the offer where I currently work. Its a winner I think!

Thanks alot for all advice, it made me think about it from a fair few angles.

17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good stuff mate :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Excellent news.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  19. BraderzTheDog

A blinder, I would imagine this type of situation will never happen again!

Thanks for the support.

20. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations, that's great news that they matched the offer and you get to stay at a place where you enjoy your job.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101