Learning to drive

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by flex22, Apr 11, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've suddenly just got the idea of learning to drive in my head.

I've never really been bothered, but think it will give me more of a chance with jobs (especially int his profession) and also it just gives you more freedom.

So just after general advice really.Are there any websites on this subject that you know of.

I'll be speaking with people I know about this of course, but just thought I'd throw it in here as well.The more advice the better.

:shades

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Have a look at the DVLA website - that should give you somewhere to start, Flex.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

a quick google bought this up

http://www.2pass.co.uk/ "The complete resource for all your FREE Learner Driver information"

No idea if its any good but it sounds right up your street flex.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks, I tried google, but didn't find that site.Cheers Phil.
    Thanks for your link too Jak.

Must admit I'm a bit nervous about driving.But I've been on me pedal bike all over, and they do say it requires more concentration to ride a bike on the road, as your more vulnerable.

Anyway I'm sick of begging lifts, and getting to places from where I'm situated is not always easy:

Example, applied for a job in leyland: Southport to Leyland, about 1.30 + hours getting 1 to 2 buses and two trains.Plus a long walk from station to job site.

In a car: 30 and a bit mins, depending on traffic, straight to the company.

It'll broaden my horizons, and options.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Wow. You're not kidding. Over here, most people learn to drive in their teens. Some places like New York City are exceptions since finding parking for a car is a real pain and public transporation is so good. Good luck learning to drive.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Good luck with the driving flex!

It certainly will make your life easier (although much more expensive with MOT, tests, lessons, insurance etc) but will give you a sense of freedom you may never of had before.

I couldnt imagine having to arrange my life around buses and trains. Nightmare!

I used BSM for my lessons, good but they wont push you (they want your money) but i hear A1 roadcraft are alot better as they try and get you through the exams a bit quicker.

Let us know!

Matt

:D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Yeah cheers for the reminder Matt :(

Seriously, thanks for the advice though :D

My brother passed his test about two years ago, and raves about how good his instructor was.This instructor taught many people at my brother's place of work, even got someone who was useless into a competent driver.

I enquired and apprently this guy teaches by himself, and not as part of a company.

He's all licensed up and is a professional instructor, so will give him a ring when I'm ready.

Your right Matt, it's the freedom thing that has finally got me to get going and sort this out.So frustrating when I need to get somewhere and having to check bus times, or begging for lifts.Doing me 'ed in now :x

Thanks all :!:

8. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Yeah if you can find a personnal instructor that is private and highly recommended, then all the better!!

:)

Matt

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA