learning routes

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Deepan, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Deepan

Deepan New Member

hiya guys, newbie here...

i've just seen a nice consultant from "skillstrain" who didnt hound me to sign, or give me any other guarentees, apart from in the unlikely case that i fail, they will keep trianing me until i pass.

he didnt guarentee that i'd get a job after this course, only that they would help me in the interviews, and give me mock interviews to help me.

the thing i wanted to ask, and i know that this would be a personal question, but i want to know...what is a better route to the ccna, n+ and a+...skillstrain (self learn + tutor + live labs) or University (tutored classes and labs) the price differs at about £200.

all input is appreciated.

Deepan

ps: i've only paid the refundable registration fee so far, he made the point of telling me i have 21 days to decide if i want to go ahead.

WIP: A+, N+, CCNA
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Deepan,

Can the University courses lead to a degree?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. Deepan

Deepan New Member

I dont know that, all it says on the site (london met or middlesex uni) is that you pay for the teaching in material, and exams. from that i'd say no, but without asking i wouldnt know.

another thing is that im currently doing a foundation course at kingston uni, which providing i pass will allow me onto an undergraduate course (computer science - Mcomp, software engineering) but this is something i want to do instead of the foundation course, as its a repeat of my AS levels, which i passed.
    i can defer my entry or apply again next september for the course wich should be no problemo, leaving me enough time to do this course.

Deepan

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Deepan, are you currently working or are you a full time student?

5. Deepan

Deepan New Member

working part time, and full time student

6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

The Open University is offering a CCNA course for about £500 (including day schools). Not only do you get a CCNA after passing the exam but also 30 level 2 points towards a degree.

7. Deepan

Deepan New Member

but they dont seem to pay for the exams, and with the skills train, if you fail, they will train u for free until you pass (i was told).

plus the skills train course includes the A+ and the N+...and im also new to the self learning scene, and therefore i'd rather have a real person to go to for help...i know you can do that with the OU, but i dont know...

has anyone here done the ccna with the OU, if so how did you find it?

thanx guys

Deepan

8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Deepan,

I havent done the CCNA course with the OU but a few years ago i studdied Music tech with them. You do get a lot of support and help from the tutors of the course if needed. Theres always someone on the phone or available by email, plus any feedback from TMAs ect is always well explained and helpful.
    I can remebering ringing my tutor and chatting about the mark he gave me for one TMA i had done. It took half hour on the fone but in the end i understood why my mark was a bit lower than expected and he understood more of what i meant to say, and explained to me how to get that across in the next one.

from what i can see on here about skillstrain is that its basically all down to you to get the work doen and if you have a problem you take pot luck as to the kind of help you get if any from the course tutors. Also while the skilstrain course pays for your exams the cost is rather high still... around £4k??? the cost of teh exams for A+ and N+ is only about £100 each (so around £300 2 A+ exams (OS and Hardware tho thats changed now) and the 1 N+) I don't know how much the CCNA is but the cost from ST still seems higher than if you went thru the OU and paid ofr the exams your self.

Plus with the OU you do get the weeks classroom course to get some hands on knowledge which im not sure you get via skillstrain. Also if you fail with skills train they will only retrain you so much ( until your money runs out!!) they only let you sit the exam when they think your going to pass as it costs them money if you fail..... And while it says you cando it at your own pace in your own time i think you'll find there is a limit to this aswell.

Beaware tho that the CCNA is indepth if you have never covered networking before... I havent done it yet and i passed the N+, it just looks to hard for me lol....

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  9. Deepan

Deepan New Member

well, i've been given some advice from a friend that works for Cisco, and he tells me that some of his collegues who are doing the CCNA have difficulty learning even though they already have some background knowledge. Also if i get a job later on, they may pay for me to do the CCNA+/CCNP.

and on that advise i will drop the CCNA, and just do the A+, and N+. they will take alot less time that all 3 together, and all in time for september.

Twizzle, how did you go about doing the N+? where & how did you arrange the exam? What books did you use?

Deepan

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

As I've stated in another thread I'm part way through it. I got quite a bit behind schedule trying to work 2 jobs at the same time, this week however with no agency work, I've managed to catch up and it is intensive, but most of the stuff covered so far I had already self taught myself and was a throwback to the days of physics at school with ohms law and stuff.

Now I'm just about back on schedule with the rest of them, 4 modules in one day and my brain aches.

Got to retake some of the assessments as I've done pretty poorly in them even though they don't count towards the final outcome of the course, would like to maintain my 75% plus average :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well i first did my A+ thru my local college over a 30 week period. This covered both exams needed for the certificate and was ok. I also used the Mike Meyers A+ book.

As for the N+ that was all self taught. I found it harder as i had very little knowledge of networking protcols etc and there was no tutor to fall back on. However with the help of the Network + passport book, Sybexs Network+ book and the folks on Certforums i managed to pass!!

The A+ exam was booked by the college as they were a registered examination center. For the N+ though i used www.pearsonvue.com to book the exam and find a center close to me. The center turned out to be an IT contarctor that also dealt with teaching courses and providing exams.

All in all the 3 exams were less that £400 in total and i fell i learnt more from finding out stuff myself than from being given a book with lots of txt and a few diagrams on a board....

Best way to decide is to make up your mind whether you like learning on your own or prefer a classroom type environment then find a method to do which ever you prefer. Some people only learn through being shown by others and soem people learn by looking up the info and making thier own notes.

12. Deepan

Deepan New Member

CompTIA, themselves are offering the A+ and N+ through an online learning course for £299 + VAT. exams must be booked + paid for separately.

i will most prob go for this, and use some books and things, and take as long as it takes, and not be rushed. i was told that the a+ exam is £105+VAT, and the two N+ exams are £159+VAT but i pay for the exams whenver i want to/am ready to from PearsonVue.

Deepan

13. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

If i remeber rightly when i sat my exams the N+ was £159 including the VAT and the A+ was £96. now the A+ was discounted because it was done through my local college.

However if you search these forums you will find links to sites that can provide vouchers that give you a discount of around 20% on soem of the exams. I think www.certify4less.co.uk is one but would check if i was you.