Learning Java quickly

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by piccadilly, Jul 30, 2010.

1. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Hi,

I've an interview for a Web Content job that asks for 'knowledge of Java'.

I've roughly zero knowledge, any ideas with the Java experts here on gaining fast-track knowledge before Tuesday?

Thanks in adv.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Err....don't apply for the job ? :blink

3. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

I'd agree with you, but it's a job for a company I really want to work for, good career progression etc.

I've ASP.NET experience from years ago... but of course the only similarities are OO.

I was thinking buying one of those 'learn in 24hrs' books? :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you can code well you could grok the basics fairly quickly, but it depends what they want, knowledge of Java could include knowledge of a lot of libraries and tools.

Even learning the language well will take most people 6 months.

ASP .NET is largely a presentation technology similar to JSF in the Java world, you need to know a lot more than just JSP or JSF to be a Java programmer.

The 24 hours books don't work, its a fallacy.

If you are a C# or C++ programmer, you could just learn the major differences in basic syntax in 24 hours.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  5. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Thanks for the info.

I think I'll just have to do my best, find Java tutorials online, and learn.

6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Its all dependent on what they mean by 'knowledge of Java' really, are they expecting you to know the language inside and out or are they just expecting you to be able to look at some code and say 'yup thats java'.

Provided you haven't talked total ****e in your CV they must have seen some qualities in you that they liked, so by all means do some reading but just be honest when you get there and see where that lands you.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. gargi

gargi New Member

As it is just knowlede of java so good understanding of OOPs concept will be helpful

8. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Great marketing tho!

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, if you've applied for a job that required a knowledge of Java and have been asked for an interview (assuming that you didn't imply a knowledge that you didn't have in your application) - then you must have some other skills or assets that interest them.

Stick to your guns though. If you don't mention Java in your application, don't be tempted to wing it in the interview. Use generic stuff like 'I learn new skills quickly'. If it really comes to a struggle, when they ask if you have any questions at the end, you can always ask them why they invited you to an interview if it was clear that you were lacking the key skills that they needed. 8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD