Learning C#

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by nellyp123, Jul 26, 2008.

1. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I just started learning C# and i have a book called Beginning C# 2008 by jack Purdum. Just wondered is anyone
    else learning C# (or ASP.NET) and using or used this book. If not then what book are you using.

I'm asking this because i don't want to start learning C# without a decent book as i did when i started learning Actionscript 3.0. I brought two books on Actionscript and couldn't get on with either of them, so i wasted a lot of my time and money until i eventually found one. Also i have downloaded the free visual C# Express edition and wondered if this will be suffice?

Sorry if this has been asked before on here, but I'm to lazy to look!!!!! :biggrin

Certifications: CIW Professional
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Not into programming myself but you may also wnat to check the MS e-learning. This is the stuff :

http://learning.microsoft.com/Manag...a5f7d}:{062b39c2-045e-43b0-aa91-b2f3b3b8b62e}

There may be some free stuff in there

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I keep meaning to get into C#, but i never get around to it.

I develop in vb.net, and some of the other guys here know C++ (and possibly c#). Vb and c# are close enough functionally, that if you need any help, just let us know. we should be able to offer some help.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Check out this posting on Certforums http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread23824.html
    It's a review of a book called Head First C#

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  5. Davidus

Davidus Nibble Poster

Hi Nellyp123

I'm new to programming but have just got the Head First C# book ( a week ago) and am currently on page 40.

I can't seriously rate this book yet as I don't believe I'm far enough into it to judge properly, but 1st impressions...

The first section (which is where I am on) has got me creating a database (6 records) and to display this on a form (it makes sense when you read the book), using the Visual Studio IDE (Integrated Development Environment). Visual basic 2008 Exprerss can be downloaded from the Microsoft's website, which I believe you've already done ( and yes, that would suffice for this book).

A basic description of the IDE (and I mean basic) is that it compiles some of the more mundane code without having to get you to do it (not a bad idea lol).

Anyway, back to the book, even though I've just started on it (and even though I said I shouldn't really judge it) I would have to recommend it. Its style is more 'pictorial' which the writers belive aids the student to remember more of the content (a style I believe runs through the Head First series).

Its premise is to get you to be 'a proficient Visual C# programmer, designing and coding large-scale applications'. It covers Visual C# 2008, Visual Srtudio 2008 and the .NET Framework 3.5.

It seems to be exactly what I want out of a study book, as I'm new to programming, and as its not terribly expensive (from the likes of Amazon etc) I believe it wouldn't harm your finances to get this.

If you want any more details, PM me and I'll get back to you.

Hope some of the above helps.

Davidus

Certifications: EDCL (don't laugh)
    WIP: 70-536, Comptia A+
  6. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Many thanks people for your replies. Davidus!.......i have now brought the head first book that you recommended.
    Cost me £16, so you better be right or i will get Mitzs to duck tape ya!!! LOL!

I will let you know how i get on and perhaps we could help each other out. Many thanks!

Neil

Certifications: CIW Professional
  7. Davidus

Davidus Nibble Poster

Hi Neil

OMG - A duck taping from Mitzs!!!!! :biggrin:twisted:

Just a quick update. Have gone on from Page 40 and I finally get to see some code, lol.

Please do let me know what you think and Yes, it would be good to help each other, though I suspect it may well be me asking most of the questions, :).

Davidus

Certifications: EDCL (don't laugh)
    WIP: 70-536, Comptia A+