1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning C#

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by nellyp123, Jul 26, 2008.

1. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I just started learning C# and i have a book called Beginning C# 2008 by jack Purdum. Just wondered is anyone
    else learning C# (or ASP.NET) and using or used this book. If not then what book are you using.

I'm asking this because i don't want to start learning C# without a decent book as i did when i started learning Actionscript 3.0. I brought two books on Actionscript and couldn't get on with either of them, so i wasted a lot of my time and money until i eventually found one. Also i have downloaded the free visual C# Express edition and wondered if this will be suffice?

Sorry if this has been asked before on here, but I'm to lazy to look!!!!! :biggrin
    Certifications: CIW Professional
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Not into programming myself but you may also wnat to check the MS e-learning. This is the stuff :

There may be some free stuff in there
    Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I keep meaning to get into C#, but i never get around to it.

I develop in vb.net, and some of the other guys here know C++ (and possibly c#). Vb and c# are close enough functionally, that if you need any help, just let us know. we should be able to offer some help.
    Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Check out this posting on Certforums http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread23824.html
    It's a review of a book called Head First C#
    Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
  5. Davidus

Davidus Nibble Poster

Hi Nellyp123

I'm new to programming but have just got the Head First C# book ( a week ago) and am currently on page 40.

I can't seriously rate this book yet as I don't believe I'm far enough into it to judge properly, but 1st impressions...

The first section (which is where I am on) has got me creating a database (6 records) and to display this on a form (it makes sense when you read the book), using the Visual Studio IDE (Integrated Development Environment). Visual basic 2008 Exprerss can be downloaded from the Microsoft's website, which I believe you've already done ( and yes, that would suffice for this book).

A basic description of the IDE (and I mean basic) is that it compiles some of the more mundane code without having to get you to do it (not a bad idea lol).

Anyway, back to the book, even though I've just started on it (and even though I said I shouldn't really judge it) I would have to recommend it. Its style is more 'pictorial' which the writers belive aids the student to remember more of the content (a style I believe runs through the Head First series).

Its premise is to get you to be 'a proficient Visual C# programmer, designing and coding large-scale applications'. It covers Visual C# 2008, Visual Srtudio 2008 and the .NET Framework 3.5.

It seems to be exactly what I want out of a study book, as I'm new to programming, and as its not terribly expensive (from the likes of Amazon etc) I believe it wouldn't harm your finances to get this.

If you want any more details, PM me and I'll get back to you.

Hope some of the above helps.

Certifications: EDCL (don't laugh)
    WIP: 70-536, Comptia A+
  6. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Many thanks people for your replies. Davidus!.......i have now brought the head first book that you recommended.
    Cost me £16, so you better be right or i will get Mitzs to duck tape ya!!! LOL!

I will let you know how i get on and perhaps we could help each other out. Many thanks!

Certifications: CIW Professional
  7. Davidus

Davidus Nibble Poster

Hi Neil

OMG - A duck taping from Mitzs!!!!! :biggrin:twisted:

Just a quick update. Have gone on from Page 40 and I finally get to see some code, lol.

Please do let me know what you think and Yes, it would be good to help each other, though I suspect it may well be me asking most of the questions, :).

Certifications: EDCL (don't laugh)
    WIP: 70-536, Comptia A+