Learning C# - Books/Sites???

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Abbid, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Abbid

Abbid Bit Poster

Hi all,

I have just started the 70-536 and have been given the 2.0 .net framework book from my course provider.
    However, looking through it last night, it heavily assumes that you know C#, and i dont.

What would you suggest i do to learn the language first before i even touch the .net book?

Is there any good sites you guys can suggest or some good books that will teach me C# as a language.

2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Learn Visual Studio, well worth the money :D

Book 1 Book 2

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The certification is for people who are already programmers, you should learn the language before you learn the libraries/frameworks, this goes for any language.

Since the CLR supports multiple languages you have a choice of languages from Managed C++, C#, VB.Net, F#, COBOL .Net etc.

The certification tracks are however only really designed for C# and VB .Net.

People who are not programmers may need to spend a long time learning the language, and then a long time learning the framework, normally this is a natural process that occurs while writing code over many years.

4. Abbid

Abbid Bit Poster

I know this, hence the reason why im asking for references to learn C# as a language before i even look into the framework.

5. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You are booked on a .Net certification course without having learnt the language no ? If you knew this why did you book the course ? :blink

6. Abbid

Abbid Bit Poster

I booked the course with a provider and was due to do the MCAD. i was told that i would be sent on a course to learn C# as a language before even touching anything to do with the certification.

but now that the track has changed to the MCTS, for some reason they have got rid of the C# course and have sent me books for the 70-536. The books blatantly say that you need a few years exp before stating this course, which is understandable, but i have been given nothing to ease me into C#.

i spoke to them about this and they have provided me with some links to tutorials on the net, and have access to Microsofts Elearning, but i stil having a hard time getting to grips with C# for some reason.

So im loking for a book that will teach a total newbie, step by step, the ins and out of C#.

7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The MS Step By Step title should do the job and theres also Head First C# which I'm told is good.

I've heard this before, I know someone who took MCAD with a TP, they were taught none of the prerequisite knowledge for the certifications, they were being taught ASP.Net without any VB.Net or C# .Net knowledge. The TP's advertise the courses as entry level but they are not, and they do not teach the prerequisite knowledge. Its like skipping the first year at college, its not a good idea unless you already know your stuff.

For the money they charge they are really short changing the students, they should teach a sylabus that makes sense, in order, with gradual progression. Theres virtually no money however in a TP teaching programming properly and they would not be able to market themselves with advanced certification tracks if they were to do this, hence we have the current situation...

8. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginning-3-0-Introduction-Oriented-Programming/dp/0470261293/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236543492&sr=8-6 This is a pretty good book to get started. I think it's important to understand OO programming if you are going to go for C#.

This book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginning-Microsoft-Visual-2008-Guides/dp/047019135X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236543492&sr=8-2 also will give you a good grounding. There is overlap in the books however this one covers a little more I think but doesn't build on the OO building blocks as well.

Obviously if you are looking to get into programming you will need to know more than just the language itself. The MCAD and learning the basics of a programming language won't really help to develop this completely but the books are a good place to get started.

Hope this helps, good luck.
    Dom

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  9. csharpclasses

csharpclasses New Member

I know that this is an old thread, but I imagine others are still finding this page while asking the same questions. I'm a former MCT and I completely agree that you should learn the building blocks of C# before jumping into ASP .NET or even Windows Application development. The old 2124 course from Microsoft was great, but I think there is definitely a need for more of the "fundamental" C# courses which is why I took my classroom experience as a trainer and built a removed advertising link online filled with quizzes, videos, and labs.

10. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The MCPD is for experienced professionals :-
    TS: Microsoft .NET Framework - Application Development Foundation

If you don't fit this category learn C# and code like hell for a couple of years, forget MCPD.

Microsoft have the Step by Step series as I mentioned before for complete beginners.

There is also the Head First series.

I'd probably buy both if just starting out and read around the subject as much as you can too.

It appears the .NET 4 track is slightly easier though still for experienced professionals, so I would not waste my time with older materials, exams, tracks, etc.

I would reccomend doing some coding katas when you start out, basically write lots of small programs to build knowledge and experience. As you get more proficient you can start to write larger programs that are more representative of development.

Last edited: May 2, 2011