Problem Learning basic SEO quickly

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by PadawanTechie, Jan 22, 2010.

1. PadawanTechie

PadawanTechie Bit Poster

Hello all,

I wondered if anyone can help me!!

I've been looking for web design work for a while now and have managed to get a position as a junior search engine optimiser, how I don't no as I have some good experience in web design up to intermediate level but know next to nothing about SEO and keywords.

I'm starting the position next week and was hoping I could use the next few days to get myself up to a standard that will allow me to do the job.

I'm thinking getting hold of a good book and banging out a few chapters should get me there.

Can anyone suggest a good book to get hold of or anything I can do in the next few days which will prepare me?

Certifications: Bsc (Media Technology), A+
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You're on the internet, the biggest source of free info ever. Fill yer boots.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You have to look at it in two ways.

1. You were honest with the employer about your knowledge and experience. Ergo, they are well aware that you arent up to speed and intend to train you.

2. You lied on your cv/interview in order to get the job. In which case, you are essentially on your own. Sooner or later you will be shown up, and the outcome wont be good.

In either case, heres a hint for learning SEO - dont create an account on a forum with an SEO value in the signature, then post once to the forum for the sole purpose of using that forum for some free advertising. If you learn only that lesson, those of us here in CF will look on you fondly.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If we could all learn useful skills really quickly then we'd have to learn some more...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Repped for Truth.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Sorry but you clearly know nothing about SEO, the worst thing is its constantly evolving as well, so the learning curve will be great, to be honest I see this as a marketing kind of field rather than web design, so you may end up not doing what you really want to do with this role.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal